New Orleans sued over DP benefits
BY Advocate.com Editors
July 01 2003 11:00 PM ET
Six residents have sued the city of New Orleans over its law giving health care benefits to city workers' gay partners, arguing that the ordinance violates provisions in state law that uphold traditional marriage. The city council enacted the law in 1999, giving benefits to city workers' domestic partners, who are defined as couples who live together and "share one another's lives in an intimate and committed relationship of mutual caring." Workers' partners, gay or straight, can get benefits by filling out a form and paying a $35 fee.
The plaintiffs allege that as taxpayers they are harmed by the law because it conflicts with state law. Their lawyer said the plaintiffs did not sue out of opposition to homosexuality. "These are people who believe in the sanctity of marriage," said Mike Johnson, of Shreveport, who filed the suit. "The state has spoken clearly that municipalities shouldn't have the right to enter into this arena--the redefining of the family." Johnson is affiliated with the Alliance Defense Fund, a Christian law firm in Scottsdale, Ariz.
Tanzie Jones, a spokeswoman for Mayor Ray Nagin, said the mayor's office would not comment on the lawsuit, which was filed Thursday in civil district court in Orleans Parish.
- German President Will Boycott Sochi Olympics
- Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License
- Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful Christmas Lights
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- WATCH: Pastor Rick Warren's Orwellian 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- World News German President Will Boycott Sochi Olympics December 08 2013 3:16 PM
- Marriage Equality Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License December 08 2013 2:31 PM
- Comedy WATCH: Ellen and Portia Recreate Bound 2 December 08 2013 2:15 PM
- Music A Brief History of Macklemore's 'Same Love' December 08 2013 9:10 AM
- Transgender Gay, Trans Identities Don't Exist, Says Colo. School Board Member December 08 2013 7:00 AM
- World News PHOTOS: Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful New Lights December 08 2013 1:47 AM
- Travel Wedding Bells Ring Down Under December 07 2013 3:33 PM