New Orleans sued over DP benefits
BY Advocate.com Editors
July 02 2003 12:00 AM ET
Six residents have sued the city of New Orleans over its law giving health care benefits to city workers' gay partners, arguing that the ordinance violates provisions in state law that uphold traditional marriage. The city council enacted the law in 1999, giving benefits to city workers' domestic partners, who are defined as couples who live together and "share one another's lives in an intimate and committed relationship of mutual caring." Workers' partners, gay or straight, can get benefits by filling out a form and paying a $35 fee.
The plaintiffs allege that as taxpayers they are harmed by the law because it conflicts with state law. Their lawyer said the plaintiffs did not sue out of opposition to homosexuality. "These are people who believe in the sanctity of marriage," said Mike Johnson, of Shreveport, who filed the suit. "The state has spoken clearly that municipalities shouldn't have the right to enter into this arena--the redefining of the family." Johnson is affiliated with the Alliance Defense Fund, a Christian law firm in Scottsdale, Ariz.
Tanzie Jones, a spokeswoman for Mayor Ray Nagin, said the mayor's office would not comment on the lawsuit, which was filed Thursday in civil district court in Orleans Parish.
- Billy Graham's Son: Obama Could Learn from Putin's Homophobia
- WATCH: Rachel Maddow Blasts Critics of Obama's Funny or Die Interview
- Op-ed: The Lasting Impact of Out TV Teens on LGBT Youth
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Artist Spotlight: Hernan Marina
- Judge: Tenn. Must Recognize Three Same-Sex Marriages
- Travel WATCH: Planes Battle Birmingham, England's Tail Winds March 15 2014 9:11 PM
- Religion Billy Graham's Son: Obama Could Learn from Putin's Homophobia March 15 2014 7:41 PM
- Television WATCH: Out Rapper Le1f on Letterman March 15 2014 2:59 PM
- People WATCH: The Strong Bond Between Straight Women and Gay Men March 15 2014 2:52 PM
- Transgender Trans Contestant is Miss Congeniality at Calif. Beauty Pageant March 15 2014 11:57 AM
- Theater Injury Sidelines Christopher Sieber in Matilda March 15 2014 5:00 AM
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Hernan Marina March 15 2014 4:00 AM