Gay rights groups come out against California recall
BY Advocate.com Editors
July 03 2003 12:00 AM ET
Several gay rights organizations made an impassioned plea Wednesday afternoon for California's gay community to oppose a recent and growing campaign to recall Gov. Gray Davis. During a conference call to the press, members of California Equality, the Human Rights Campaign, and Taxpayers Against the Governor's Recall, an independent committee formed to oppose the effort, said those who seek to remove the governor are among the state's most antigay forces.
"It is no secret to anyone that President Bush is not a supporter of the recall. It's not the Republican moderates who are campaigning," said Eric Bauman, who heads the anti-recall committee. "We are asking people to see who is behind the recall." Right-wing religious groups are leading the effort, Bauman charged, including the Campaign for California Families, a staunchly antigay group that has been touring the state in recent weeks, opposing a sweeping domestic-partners bill recently passed by the state assembly. And U.S. representative Daryl Issa (R-Vista), the would-be gubernatorial replacement for Davis who has largely financed the recall petition drive with more than $1 million of his own money, has repeatedly bashed gay people, Bauman added.
"California has the most ambitious agenda this year to advance GLBT equality," said Seth Kilborn, national field director for the HRC. "It's very clear to us that California continues to lead the way for the GLBT community. We have been proud to work with Governor Davis. It's our view that the turmoil caused by this recall effort puts at serious risk the legislation currently being considered in California."
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Anne Rice Announces New Vampire Chronicles Novel
- Trans Woman Sues CrossFit After Being Told to Compete in Men's Division
- WATCH: Gay Man's Grandfather Came Out to Him at 90 Years Old
- Op-ed: Pope Francis: One Year In, Door Slightly Ajar for LGBT People
- Former Fox Sportscaster Claims Anti-Antigay Discrimination
- Media Former Fox Sportscaster Claims Anti-Antigay Discrimination 2 hours 25 min ago
- Women Lorde Takes Down Idiot DJ Who Implies She and Taylor Swift Are Lesbians March 10 2014 9:01 PM
- Women WATCH: Trailer for New Lesbian-Themed Series #Hashtag March 10 2014 7:54 PM
- Travel Sydney Mardi Gras: A Post-Mortem March 10 2014 7:47 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Marriage Equality Is an 'Extra Right,' Says Right-Wing Activist March 10 2014 7:44 PM
- Women Laurel Holloman Joins L Word Costars Leisha Hailey and Kate Moennig at Dinah! March 10 2014 6:22 PM
- Politics Lesbian Couple Sues Neighbors for Bias March 10 2014 6:08 PM