Gay victims of Nazi persecution could get memorial
BY Advocate.com Editors
July 03 2003 11:00 PM ET
Tens of thousands of gays and lesbians killed or persecuted by the Nazi regime are to be commemorated in a central memorial in Berlin under plans announced on Wednesday. The Social Democrat-Green coalition launched a motion in parliament to create the memorial in Tiergarten Park, near the city center, with the support of the Berlin city government.
"The homosexual victims of National Socialism have so far received little consideration in the commemorative culture of the Federal Republic," Green Party manager Volker Beck and SPD parliamentarian Johannes Kahrs said in a statement.
If approved, the memorial would be the latest in an often controversial series of German monuments to victims of the Third Reich, many of which, including Berlin's still-unfinished main Holocaust memorial, have been held up by protracted disputes. The Nazis maintained a relentless campaign of persecution against gays, sending thousands to concentration camps, where they were forced to wear pink triangles to identify them and an unknown number were killed. Their fate was highlighted earlier this year when the U.S. Holocaust Memorial Museum in Washington, D.C., held an exhibition on the subject that traveled to a number of American cities.
- Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License
- Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful Christmas Lights
- German President Will Boycott Sochi Olympics
- Op-ed: Why I Filmed My Coming Out Journey
- Colo. School Board Member Denies Existence of Gay, Trans Identities
- WATCH: Elton John Slams 'Inhumane, Isolating' Anti-LGBT Laws In Russia
- World News German President Will Boycott Sochi Olympics 1 hour 5 min ago
- Marriage Equality Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License 1 hour 49 min ago
- Comedy WATCH: Ellen and Portia Recreate Bound 2 2 hours 5 min ago
- Music A Brief History of Macklemore's 'Same Love' 9:10 AM
- Transgender Gay, Trans Identities Don't Exist, Says Colo. School Board Member 7:00 AM
- World News PHOTOS: Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful New Lights 1:47 AM
- Travel Wedding Bells Ring Down Under December 07 2013 3:33 PM