Australia's Victoria police accept transsexual's application
BY Advocate.com Editors
July 11 2003 12:00 AM ET
Police in Australia's Victoria state drew conservatives' ire Wednesday by accepting the application of a transsexual to join the force, Agence France-Presse reports. Police officials defended the right of the unnamed applicant--described in press reports as a male who dresses as a woman and plans to undergo a sex-change operation--to apply for a job. "We try to attract people with strong values, integrity, intelligence, compassion, and life experience," said police human resources director Sanjib Roy.
"And we want to make sure we don't discriminate on the basis of gender, sexuality, ethnicity, or religion, as this would be contrary to equal opportunity laws," Roy told a local radio station.
The Herald Sun reported that the man had already passed the initial academic test for entry to the force as well as a second stage involving a medical exam, criminal record check, and interview.
The police force's open-minded attitude on the issue drew fire from the leader of Victoria's conservative opposition leader, Robert Doyle. "I don't think it's appropriate," Doyle told reporters. "I think that most people around the state would say to themselves [that] while people have the right to express themselves for any sexual orientation...that doesn't automatically give you an open door to any of our services, like the police force," he said.
Gender identity legislation in Victoria says a person who chooses to be female is deemed to be female and entitled to be treated as such, even before surgery. A police union spokesman, Paul Mullet, said his members would initially be shocked by the news but would ultimately judge the person on her merits.
"This is one single issue facing Victoria police, and really, if the person can do the job, then there is no problem," he said.
- WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Far-Right Minister: Gays Responsible for Ukraine Crisis
- Gay Tenn. 12-Year-Old Still Fighting the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill He Helped Kill
- Fox's Newest Cop Comedy Is Quietly Breaking Ground
- Travel VIDEO: George Takei at Austin's SXSW Festival 12 min 13 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Bisexuality v. Pansexuality - We Discuss the Difference 27 min 56 sec ago
- Television WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families 44 min 31 sec ago
- Women 5 Things That Pissed Us Off This Week: Homegrown Homophobia 1 hour 2 min ago
- Religion Far-Right Minister: Gays Responsible for Ukraine Crisis 1 hour 4 min ago
- Travel Copenhagen: The Gayest Place in 2014 1 hour 34 min ago
- Women WATCH: Australia's Sexy New Lesbian Web Series Starting From ... Now! 2 hours 27 min ago