Gay ad campaign criticized in Sweden
July 25 2003 12:00 AM ET
"Birgitta, 6 years old, lesbian," reads the advertisement with a photograph of a little girl in a swimsuit and armbands, alongside some childish drawings. "Not all princesses choose a prince," it
adds. A campaign by a Swedish gay group to promote awareness that nonheterosexual orientation can start from an early age caused a backlash on Wednesday from a child protection group that said the sexual depiction of children could encourage pedophiles.
Stockholm Pride, a volunteer group that organizes the city's annual pride festival, launched the campaign on its Web site and plans to run ads in the mainstream and gay press. Pride's chairman, Anders Selin, stressed that all the children depicted are now adult gays, lesbians, or transsexuals between the ages of 24 and 40.
"We're not telling people that every youngster is homosexual but that it should be as respectable as being heterosexual," he said. Selin said he wanted to provoke debate about how adults' sexual orientation is influenced in childhood by "how our parents raise us and how we're influenced by toy shops, etc."
But conservative member of parliament Rosita Runegrund, who works for Ecpat, an international network of organizations that combat the sexual exploitation of children, objected to the fact that the campaign gives young children a sexual identity. "Pedophiles use the argument that children have a sexual identity," she said. "For me it was a shock to find the pictures on their Web site because Pride is
a respectful organization. There is a strong reaction from the public who don't understand these pictures. It's not necessary. Children must have their own experience, and it takes time for them to find their own sexual identity."
Selin, a 36-year-old youth worker who is featured in one of the ads (as "Anders, seven years old, gay"), said that "as soon as you talk about homosexuality and children, everyone starts yelling about pedophiles."
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Anne Rice Announces New Vampire Chronicles Novel
- Former Fox Sportscaster Claims Anti-Antigay Discrimination
- Op-ed: In Boston, an Ugly St. Patrick's Day Tradition Continues
- WATCH: Gay Man's Grandfather Came Out to Him at 90 Years Old
- Trans Woman Sues CrossFit After Being Told to Compete in Men's Division
- Media Former Fox Sportscaster Claims Anti-Antigay Discrimination March 10 2014 9:37 PM
- Women Lorde Takes Down Idiot DJ Who Implies She and Taylor Swift Are Lesbians March 10 2014 9:01 PM
- Women WATCH: Trailer for New Lesbian-Themed Series #Hashtag March 10 2014 7:54 PM
- Travel Sydney Mardi Gras: A Post-Mortem March 10 2014 7:47 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Marriage Equality Is an 'Extra Right,' Says Right-Wing Activist March 10 2014 7:44 PM
- Women Laurel Holloman Joins L Word Costars Leisha Hailey and Kate Moennig at Dinah! March 10 2014 6:22 PM
- Politics Lesbian Couple Sues Neighbors for Bias March 10 2014 6:08 PM