Cathedral of Hope leader submits resignation letter
July 30 2003 12:00 AM ET
The head of the world's largest gay and lesbian church has submitted a letter saying he will resign if conflicts within the church are not lessened in the next few months. Michael Piazza, the leader of the Cathedral of Hope in Dallas, is taking a three- to six-month sabbatical because of accusations concerning management of the church's health insurance, the capital campaign fund, and Piazza's personal expense account. Piazza was not accused of stealing money and has said he is innocent. The letter allows the Reverend Mona West, the church's pastor, to remove him "for the good of the church."
The church was under investigation by the Universal Fellowship of Metropolitan Community Churches until the congregation overwhelmingly voted to disaffiliate from the organization Sunday. That day Piazza E-mailed church dissidents announcing his letter of resignation. "You have publicly humiliated me and my family.... How much more do you need of me?" he wrote.
Piazza has been with the church for 16 years. Earlier this month he gave up his ministry credentials but continued his role as dean and copastor of the church, which has more than 3,000 members.
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Game of Thrones Actor Kristian Nairn Reveals He's Gay
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Fox's Newest Cop Comedy Is Quietly Breaking Ground
- Op-ed: Uganda's Top Tabloid Isn't News, It's a Hit List
- Far-Right Minister: Gays Responsible for Ukraine Crisis
- Seat Filler 5 Must-See Shows: What's Gay Off-Broadway 31 min 54 sec ago
- Media Chicago Monthly Paper Threatens to Out Aldermen March 11 2014 8:40 PM
- Travel VIDEO: George Takei at Austin's SXSW Festival March 11 2014 7:17 PM
- Women WATCH: Bisexuality v. Pansexuality - We Discuss the Difference March 11 2014 7:02 PM
- Television WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families March 11 2014 6:45 PM
- Women 5 Things That Pissed Us Off This Week: Homegrown Homophobia March 11 2014 6:27 PM
- Religion Far-Right Minister: Gays Responsible for Ukraine Crisis March 11 2014 6:25 PM