Fired gay music teacher gets new job
August 04 2003 11:00 PM ET
A gay music director fired from a Catholic church for refusing to take a chastity vow has landed a job at another church. Rockford, Ill.'s Court Street United Methodist Church has announced Bill Stein's hiring as director of music ministries. The church's search committee met 16 candidates from around the country before settling on the former music director from Holy Family Catholic Parish. "He was, and is, the most qualified candidate that our search committee interviewed," the Reverend Michael Mann said. "He was hired based on his credentials and his interview process."
Rockford's largest Catholic church fired Stein in June after some parishioners objected to his desire to adopt a child with his partner of 10 years. After the firing, other parishioners rallied to his support. At the time of the firing, a spokeswoman for the Rockford Diocese said the decision reflected the church's prohibition on sex outside of marriage.
- WATCH: Colo. Baker Who Refused Gay Wedding Cake Appears In Court
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- Morrissey's Gay Relationship Scrubbed From U.S. Edition of Autobiography
- New York Officials Demand Olympic Sponsors Take Action
- Is The GOP Discriminating Against Its Gay Candidates?
- WATCH: Rep. Polis's Epic Blowup on House Floor Over Immigration
- Acceptance Matters Op-ed: Why I Filmed My Coming Out Journey 1 hour 6 min ago
- Acceptance Matters Op-ed: Love Starts With Acceptance 1 hour 6 min ago
- Year in Review 11 Great New Tech Gifts 1 hour 7 min ago
- Women WATCH: Lesbians Explain How Lesbians Have Sex - with Visual Aids! December 05 2013 7:57 PM
- Travel Why Travelers Love Palm Springs Airport December 05 2013 7:33 PM
- Travel Turkish Bazaar Opening on Vegas Strip December 05 2013 7:12 PM
- Women WATCH: Nurse: 3D is the Epic Lesbian Exploitation Hospital Thriller of the Year! December 05 2013 6:54 PM