Australian leader says gay marriage threatens "survival of the species"
August 05 2003 11:00 PM ET
In ruling out his support for gay marriage in Australia, Prime Minister John Howard said Tuesday that it does nothing to support "survival of the species." "I'm opposed to changing the law in Australia to give them the same status as marriage that we all understand in our society," Howard told a Darwin radio station during a tour of the Northern Territory. "That's not an expression of discrimination--it's just an expression that marriage as we understand it is one of the bedrock institutions of our society. It's very much about the raising of children...and the continuation of our species. The idea that you can treat a gay relationship in precisely the same way as you do a marriage as we understand it is not a view that I support, and I certainly would not be initiating any moves to change the law to that effect."
Earlier Howard told the Courier Mail that while he respects gays and lesbians, he feels that those calling for gay marriages to be recognized do not understand what marriage means. "It's a bedrock institution," he said. "You're talking here about the survival of the species." Howard said marriage is the vehicle for "providing the most secure environment" for raising the next generation.
The Vatican last week condemned gay marriages as deviant and a threat to society, one day after President Bush, a close ally of Howard's, stated his view that the definition of marriage as a union between a man and a woman should be codified into law.
- WATCH: The Best of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music
- Op-ed: Two and a Half Men Introduces Trans Character, Manages to Stay Respectful
- PHOTOS: We Asked The Stars, Who Is Your Hero?
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- WATCH: Obama Invokes LGBT Rights in Mandela Eulogy
- New Gay U.S. Ambassador Meets With Dominican President
- Women Emily Rios' Lesbian Character on The Bridge Upped to Series Regular 35 min 21 sec ago
- Media Russia Expert to Offer Political Commentary During Olympics 1 hour 26 min ago
- Travel In-Flight Cellphone Conversations: Dream or Nightmare? 1 hour 34 min ago
- Politics New Gay U.S. Ambassador Meets With Dominican President 2 hours 14 min ago
- Latest News NBC To Spotlight Russia’s Human Rights Abuses During Olympics 6:11 PM
- Couples/Personal Finances The Financial Effects of DOMA: Filing Taxes 5:56 PM
- Couples/Personal Finances Examining Employee Benefits in the Wake of DOMA’s Overturn 5:38 PM