Falwell to fight gay marriage full-time
August 08 2003 11:00 PM ET
Jerry Falwell announced Wednesday that he is putting aside other efforts to dedicate himself full-time to the passage of the Federal Marriage Amendment. The effort seeks to amend the U.S. Constitution to permanently ban gay marriage in the United States. In a statement on his Web site, Falwell said he is "dedicating [his] talents, time, and energies over the next few years to [the amendment], which will protect the traditional family from its enemies who wish to legalize same-sex marriage and other diverse 'family forms.'" An online petition drive hopes to garner a million anti-gay marriage signatories. In July the gay rights group Human Rights Campaign launched a similar online petition--theirs seeks a million signatories in favor of same-sex marriage.
- Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie Support Their Kid Wearing Suits
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- Hands Down, the Single Best Quote of 2014
- This Year's Coolest Straight People in Entertainment
- Will Florida Arrest Clerks for Marrying Gay Couples?
- Did Nickelodeon Just Confirm Legend of Korra Same-Sex Romance?