Gay activists back Street in Philadelphia mayoral race
August 14 2003 11:00 PM ET
A group of prominent gay activists are backing Philadelphia mayor John F. Street for reelection, calling him inclusive and sensitive to their concerns. Meanwhile, Republican mayoral candidate Sam Katz received his own endorsement from a newly formed gay organization, Pride for Katz, during an event at a Philadelphia bookstore Wednesday.
Among the dozen or so people endorsing Street are Philadelphia Gay News publisher Mark Segal and lawyer and activist Mike Williams, both of whom backed Katz during the 1999 mayoral election. The two men had been upset that Street, as a member of the city council, had opposed providing benefits to the same-sex partners of city employees. They have since shifted their support to the Democratic mayor, praising his appointment of an openly gay council member as well as a city program that recruits gays and lesbians to serve as foster parents. "This mayor has unabashedly and unashamedly kept all of his promises," Williams said.
On Wednesday Katz again accused Street of helping Constitution Party candidate John McDermott earn a spot on the November ballot. The Street campaign has denied the accusation but has acknowledged that a Street volunteer circulated a McDermott nominating petition. McDermott, a conservative candidate, has criticized Katz as being too liberal and supporting homosexuality.
"I think voters should be concerned that John Street is backing a person who calls me a 'lobbyist for cross-dressers' and uses words of hate," Katz said. "This fellow didn't just materialize out of nowhere.... He is a product of the campaign strategy of John Street."
- The Advocate's Person of the Year: Pope Francis
- Duck Dynasty Star Slams Sinful 'Homosexuals, Drunks, Terrorists'
- Meet the People Fired for Being LGBT in 2013
- Maddow to Putin: Ha! Take That!
- Antigay Archbishop Accused of Sexually Assaulting Minor
- Op-ed: What It's Like Being Trans In Military Academies
- Women Kim Basinger is Sleek and Sexy in Pin-Striped Men's Suit 1 hour 59 min ago
- Women Op-ed: The Right's War on Christmas - The 2013 Edition! 2 hours 43 min ago
- Entertainment News Ian McKellen Surprised Hobbit Fans At Desolation of Smaug Screening 7:07 PM
- Travel Sia Wants You to Help the Street Animals of India 5:23 PM
- Media BBC to Air Buffy The Vampire Slayer Retrospective 4:54 PM
- Women WATCH: Julia Roberts Is the Caboose in an Ellen DeGeneres Conga Line! 4:49 PM
- Sports Chicago Gay Hockey Association Wins at Celebrating Christmas 4:19 PM