More churches withhold funds to protest Robinson
August 25 2003 11:00 PM ET
Following the lead set by the Trinity Episcopal Church in Columbus, Ga., last week, which voted 6-4 to
suspend the $7,000 it contributes to the Diocese of Atlanta each month, other Episcopal churches around the nation are now withholding donations to church leaders in protest of the confirmation of openly gay reverend V. Gene Robinson as bishop of New Hampshire. In Catonsville, Md., the Reverend Steven Randall of St. Timothy's Church said his congregation would no longer send its monthly $5,000 pledge to the Diocese of Maryland, whose bishop, Robert Ihloff, voted to confirm Robinson. Bishop Stephen Jecko of Florida, who opposed Robinson's confirmation, has instructed his diocesan treasurer to hold funds from the national office in escrow until the diocese decides how the money should be used. The Florida diocese had planned to send about $200,000 to the national office this year in monthly installments, diocesan treasurer Becky Peeples said.
At least 52 congregations in 20 states, including 320 priests and 16 bishops, have endorsed an online protest petition. Part of the money parishes send to their dioceses is forwarded to the national church office.
- Op-ed: Two and a Half Men Introduces Trans Character, Manages to Stay Respectful
- WATCH: The Best of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music
- The Many Faces of LGBT Family
- WATCH: Teen Uses Bar Mitzvah Speech to Call for Marriage Equality
- WATCH: Obama Invokes LGBT Rights in Mandela Eulogy
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- Commentary Op-ed: Immigration Goes Beyond Documentation 1 hour 43 min ago
- Day in LGBT America The Many Faces of LGBT Family 2 hours 43 min ago
- Comedy Meet the Lesbian Who Won a Comedy Cage Match 2 hours 43 min ago
- Women Emily Rios' Lesbian Character on The Bridge Upped to Series Regular December 10 2013 8:47 PM
- Media Russia Expert to Offer Political Commentary During Olympics December 10 2013 7:56 PM
- Travel In-Flight Cellphone Conversations: Dream or Nightmare? December 10 2013 7:48 PM
- Politics New Gay U.S. Ambassador Meets With Dominican President December 10 2013 7:08 PM