More churches withhold funds to protest Robinson
August 26 2003 12:00 AM ET
Following the lead set by the Trinity Episcopal Church in Columbus, Ga., last week, which voted 6-4 to
suspend the $7,000 it contributes to the Diocese of Atlanta each month, other Episcopal churches around the nation are now withholding donations to church leaders in protest of the confirmation of openly gay reverend V. Gene Robinson as bishop of New Hampshire. In Catonsville, Md., the Reverend Steven Randall of St. Timothy's Church said his congregation would no longer send its monthly $5,000 pledge to the Diocese of Maryland, whose bishop, Robert Ihloff, voted to confirm Robinson. Bishop Stephen Jecko of Florida, who opposed Robinson's confirmation, has instructed his diocesan treasurer to hold funds from the national office in escrow until the diocese decides how the money should be used. The Florida diocese had planned to send about $200,000 to the national office this year in monthly installments, diocesan treasurer Becky Peeples said.
At least 52 congregations in 20 states, including 320 priests and 16 bishops, have endorsed an online protest petition. Part of the money parishes send to their dioceses is forwarded to the national church office.
- Fred Phelps Excommunicated and Near Death?
- A Brief History of Gays and the St. Patrick's Day Parade
- WATCH: Ark. High School Yearbook Refuses to Profile Out Student
- LGBT Exclusion Costs St. Paddy's Parades
- Author of Russia's 'Gay Propaganda' Law Sanctioned for Role in Ukraine Crisis
- WATCH: First Gay Hug Parodies First Kiss Viral Video
- Travel WeHo's Most Notorious Nudie Motel Going Mainstream 4 min 15 sec ago
- Women 31 Most Eligible Out Women of 2014 16 min 12 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Lesbians Explain - How Two Women Fall In Love 30 min 7 sec ago
- Russia Author of Russia's 'Gay Propaganda' Law Sanctioned for Role in Ukraine Crisis 32 min 17 sec ago
- Youth WATCH: Ark. Yearbook Cuts Profile of Gay Student 52 min 9 sec ago
- Women WATCH: PLL's Shay Mitchell - 'Sometimes I'd Rather Kiss Another Girl' 1 hour 14 min ago
- Politics Ore. AG Rules 'Religious Freedom' Bill Title Must Say 'Discrimination' 1 hour 29 min ago