Charges filed in D.C. transgender murder
August 27 2003 11:00 PM ET
Washington, D.C., police have charged a 22-year-old man with murder in the killing of a 25-year-old transgendered woman last week, The Washington Post reports. Antwan D. Lewis is accused of shooting Aaryn Marshall, who went by the name Emonie Kiera Spaulding, on August 20. It was the third shooting and second murder of a transgendered person in the District of Columbia in a week's time. Police have also made an arrest in the August 16 slaying of transgendered performer Bella Evangelista. Police said Antoine D. Jacobs, 22, paid Evangelista for a sex act and then shot her upon learning that she was transgendered. A 24-year-old transgendered woman was shot the same day Spaulding was murdered but survived the attack. No arrests have been made in that attack.
Police say it remains unclear why Lewis killed Spaulding. They do believe Lewis picked Spaulding up in his car, where the two started to argue. Then, police say, Lewis shot Spaulding and dumped her body in a grassy area in the southeast section of the city. Police found Spaulding's naked body in the lot after hearing gunshots.
- Women WATCH: Trans Man Has Vagina Pride 2 hours 58 min ago
- Hot Sheet Hot Sheet: History Boys 7:25 PM
- Marriage Equality Here's The Most Absurd Thing You Missed in Michigan's Marriage Equality Trial 7:20 PM
- Uganda As Aid Cuts Continue, Ugandan Officials Not Concerned 6:57 PM
- Religion Fired Gay Administrator Sues Wash. Catholic School 6:55 PM
- Women Who the F Is … California Politico Toni Atkins? 5:53 PM
- Women Op-ed: Why We Need International Women's Day 5:49 PM