Charges filed in D.C. transgender murder
August 27 2003 11:00 PM ET
Washington, D.C., police have charged a 22-year-old man with murder in the killing of a 25-year-old transgendered woman last week, The Washington Post reports. Antwan D. Lewis is accused of shooting Aaryn Marshall, who went by the name Emonie Kiera Spaulding, on August 20. It was the third shooting and second murder of a transgendered person in the District of Columbia in a week's time. Police have also made an arrest in the August 16 slaying of transgendered performer Bella Evangelista. Police said Antoine D. Jacobs, 22, paid Evangelista for a sex act and then shot her upon learning that she was transgendered. A 24-year-old transgendered woman was shot the same day Spaulding was murdered but survived the attack. No arrests have been made in that attack.
Police say it remains unclear why Lewis killed Spaulding. They do believe Lewis picked Spaulding up in his car, where the two started to argue. Then, police say, Lewis shot Spaulding and dumped her body in a grassy area in the southeast section of the city. Police found Spaulding's naked body in the lot after hearing gunshots.
- Women Ellen's Oscars' Selfie Gets Simpson-ized! March 06 2014 7:56 PM
- Travel General Motors Hopes to Impress You at Mammoth Gay Ski Week March 06 2014 7:24 PM
- Women WATCH: American Idol's Out Contestant MK Nobilette Does 'Drops of Jupiter' March 06 2014 7:18 PM
- Books Gay Propaganda Brings Russian Love Stories to Light March 06 2014 6:06 PM
- Film Jamie Lee Curtis Bringing Life of First Gay Baseball Player to Big Screen March 06 2014 5:48 PM
- Politics Here's Why Facebook Is Sponsoring Right-Wing CPAC March 06 2014 5:12 PM
- Media News Anchor on Russia's RT Network Quits Job on Air in Protest March 06 2014 4:34 PM