Charges filed in D.C. transgender murder
August 27 2003 11:00 PM ET
Washington, D.C., police have charged a 22-year-old man with murder in the killing of a 25-year-old transgendered woman last week, The Washington Post reports. Antwan D. Lewis is accused of shooting Aaryn Marshall, who went by the name Emonie Kiera Spaulding, on August 20. It was the third shooting and second murder of a transgendered person in the District of Columbia in a week's time. Police have also made an arrest in the August 16 slaying of transgendered performer Bella Evangelista. Police said Antoine D. Jacobs, 22, paid Evangelista for a sex act and then shot her upon learning that she was transgendered. A 24-year-old transgendered woman was shot the same day Spaulding was murdered but survived the attack. No arrests have been made in that attack.
Police say it remains unclear why Lewis killed Spaulding. They do believe Lewis picked Spaulding up in his car, where the two started to argue. Then, police say, Lewis shot Spaulding and dumped her body in a grassy area in the southeast section of the city. Police found Spaulding's naked body in the lot after hearing gunshots.
- Film Kidnapped for Christ to Premiere at Slamdance 2 hours 18 min ago
- Acceptance Matters Op-ed: Separate or Together? 7:00 AM
- Day in LGBT America PHOTOS: Just Another Day at Work in LGBT America 7:00 AM
- Arts & Entertainment PHOTOS: We Asked The Stars, Who Is Your Hero? 6:30 AM
- Music WATCH: The Best (and Not So Best) of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music 5:00 AM
- Women New Family Ties: Meredith Baxter Marries Nancy Locke December 09 2013 8:01 PM
- Travel Spider-Man Will Welcome In 2014 In Times Square December 09 2013 7:52 PM