Charges filed in D.C. transgender murder
August 27 2003 11:00 PM ET
Washington, D.C., police have charged a 22-year-old man with murder in the killing of a 25-year-old transgendered woman last week, The Washington Post reports. Antwan D. Lewis is accused of shooting Aaryn Marshall, who went by the name Emonie Kiera Spaulding, on August 20. It was the third shooting and second murder of a transgendered person in the District of Columbia in a week's time. Police have also made an arrest in the August 16 slaying of transgendered performer Bella Evangelista. Police said Antoine D. Jacobs, 22, paid Evangelista for a sex act and then shot her upon learning that she was transgendered. A 24-year-old transgendered woman was shot the same day Spaulding was murdered but survived the attack. No arrests have been made in that attack.
Police say it remains unclear why Lewis killed Spaulding. They do believe Lewis picked Spaulding up in his car, where the two started to argue. Then, police say, Lewis shot Spaulding and dumped her body in a grassy area in the southeast section of the city. Police found Spaulding's naked body in the lot after hearing gunshots.
- Entertainment News Musto: Tom Daley & Maria Bello Are Bi, Get Used To It 2 hours 23 min ago
- Television WATCH: The 12 Gayest Holiday Spectaculars Ever! 7:00 AM
- Comedy Op-ed: What I Didn't Learn in Catholic School 6:00 AM
- Day in LGBT America PHOTOS: These Couples Prove Love Is Love 5:00 AM
- World News German President Will Boycott Sochi Olympics December 08 2013 3:16 PM
- Marriage Equality Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License December 08 2013 2:31 PM
- Comedy WATCH: Ellen and Portia Recreate Bound 2 December 08 2013 2:15 PM