Los Angeles County extends benefits
August 27 2003 11:00 PM ET
The Los Angeles County board of supervisors on Tuesday voted to extend death benefits to the domestic partners of retired county employees. The move brings the domestic partners of gay and lesbian retired employees in line benefits-wise with the married partners of straight employees.
Los Angeles County currently offers medical and dental insurance coverage to the domestic partners of its employees, and employees can designate their domestic partners as life insurance beneficiaries. County employees also can designate domestic partners as beneficiaries of their pension plan if the employee dies while still employed.
Lorri L. Jean, chief executive officer of the Los Angeles Gay and Lesbian Center, commended the board for its 4-1 vote in support of the benefits. But she also criticized supervisor Michael D. Antonovich, who opposed the proposal. "All but one of our county supervisors made it clear that they support treating the life partners of all county employees equally and respectfully, particularly at one of the most difficult times imaginable--when one's life partner has died," Jean said. "It's appalling that in 2003, in a county that has been a national leader in valuing and respecting diversity, Michael Antonovich would deny death benefits to grieving domestic partners. That kind of discrimination has no place in Los Angeles. Antonovich should be ashamed."
- WATCH: Rep. Polis's Epic Blowup on House Floor Over Immigration
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- WATCH: Colo. Baker Who Refused Gay Wedding Cake Appears In Court
- Op-ed: Stop Judging Tom Daley and Dustin Lance Black
- Op-ed: Don't Worry, Tom Daley's Getting Biphobic Tweets, Too
- WATCH: Bill O'Reilly's 'War on Christmas' Led By Abortionists and Married Gays
- Politics WATCH: Rep. Polis's Epic Blowup on House Floor 10 min 2 sec ago
- Election Chris Christie Gets Heat for Backing Oklahoma's Governor 16 min 22 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Taylor Schilling and Lizzy Caplan in Variety Roundtable 21 min 7 sec ago
- Politics WATCH: Abortionists, Married Gays Leading 'War on Christmas' 1 hour 8 min ago
- World News Israel's President, Shimon Peres, Backs Same-Sex Marriage 1 hour 9 min ago
- Acceptance Matters WATCH: Davey Wavey Does Acceptance One Better 1 hour 36 min ago
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Colo. Baker Charged with Antigay Discrimination 2 hours 58 min ago