Los Angeles County extends benefits
August 28 2003 12:00 AM ET
The Los Angeles County board of supervisors on Tuesday voted to extend death benefits to the domestic partners of retired county employees. The move brings the domestic partners of gay and lesbian retired employees in line benefits-wise with the married partners of straight employees.
Los Angeles County currently offers medical and dental insurance coverage to the domestic partners of its employees, and employees can designate their domestic partners as life insurance beneficiaries. County employees also can designate domestic partners as beneficiaries of their pension plan if the employee dies while still employed.
Lorri L. Jean, chief executive officer of the Los Angeles Gay and Lesbian Center, commended the board for its 4-1 vote in support of the benefits. But she also criticized supervisor Michael D. Antonovich, who opposed the proposal. "All but one of our county supervisors made it clear that they support treating the life partners of all county employees equally and respectfully, particularly at one of the most difficult times imaginable--when one's life partner has died," Jean said. "It's appalling that in 2003, in a county that has been a national leader in valuing and respecting diversity, Michael Antonovich would deny death benefits to grieving domestic partners. That kind of discrimination has no place in Los Angeles. Antonovich should be ashamed."
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- WATCH: Gay Man's Grandfather Came Out to Him at 90 Years Old
- The A-List Interview: Chris O'Dowd
- A Letter to My Partners
- Looking Back: Where Things Stand Heading Into Season 2
- Timothy Dolan Uncomfortable as Pope Calls for Study of Civil Unions
- Religion Op-ed: In Boston, an Ugly St. Patrick's Day Tradition Continues 4 min 17 sec ago
- Theater PHOTOS: Terrence McNally's Mothers and Sons 50 min 56 sec ago
- Religion Op-ed: Pope Francis: One Year In, Door Slightly Ajar for LGBT People 1 hour 5 min ago
- Travel Drag Race: NASCAR's Biggest Gay Fan on the Vegas Cup Race 1 hour 7 min ago
- Television Looking Back: Where Things Stand Heading Into Season 2 1 hour 14 min ago
- Art WATCH: Gay Man's Grandfather Came Out to Him at 90 Years Old 1 hour 28 min ago
- Television WATCH: The First Trailer for HBO's Adaptation of The Normal Heart 10:28 AM