Schwarzenegger won't back gay marriage
August 28 2003 12:00 AM ET
Actor Arnold Schwarzenegger laid out his positions on several issues--including gay issues--in a radio broadcast Wednesday, after weeks of criticism that he wasn't spelling out his views for voters as a candidate running in the California recall election for governor. He said he's in favor of legalizing marijuana for medicinal purposes and protecting a woman's right to abortion but against gay marriage.
The Republican gave his opinions on those and other hot-button issues during a call to the syndicated Sean Hannity radio show, which also was broadcast live on Fox Television. The statements, in response to a barrage of questions from the conservative talk show host, represented Schwarzenegger's most detailed comments to date in his bid to replace Gov. Gray Davis in the October 7 recall election.
Some of his responses, including those having to do with his opposition to gay marriage, could play well with the state's conservatives. Conservatives so far have been wary of the action star and have been leaning toward state senator Tom McClintock, Schwarzenegger's main challenger among Republicans on the ballot.
Asked about gay marriage, Schwarzenegger said, "I do support domestic partnerships" but reiterated that he is against gay marriage. He said marriage should be between a man and a woman.
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families
- Fox's Newest Cop Comedy Is Quietly Breaking Ground
- Is Mr. Peabody & Sherman About Adoption by Gays?
- Far-Right Minister: Gays Responsible for Ukraine Crisis
- Media Chicago Monthly Paper Threatens to Out Aldermen 2 hours 14 min ago
- Travel VIDEO: George Takei at Austin's SXSW Festival 7:17 PM
- Women WATCH: Bisexuality v. Pansexuality - We Discuss the Difference 7:02 PM
- Television WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families 6:45 PM
- Women 5 Things That Pissed Us Off This Week: Homegrown Homophobia 6:27 PM
- Religion Far-Right Minister: Gays Responsible for Ukraine Crisis 6:25 PM
- Travel Copenhagen: The Gayest Place in 2014 5:55 PM