Transgendered woman strangled in Toronto
August 29 2003 12:00 AM ET
A well-known transgendered prostitute in Toronto, Canada, was found dead in her apartment Monday night, the Toronto Star reports. An autopsy concluded that Cassandra Do, 32, died of manual strangulation.
The Star reports that the murder has many of the city's transgendered sex workers worried. "I'm so scared," said one woman who asked that her name not be printed. The woman said she advertises in a weekly newspaper but that she is thinking about discontinuing her ad. "People keep calling me, but I'm very nervous. I'm wondering, Is there somebody out there who wants to kill girls?"
Toronto police officials said an investigation into Do's murder is ongoing and that police have not yet determined if she was with a client when she was killed.
Do's friends are planning a vigil for her for Sunday night.
- Op-ed: The Far-Reaching Consequences of Dating App Racism
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers
- Minister to LGBT People: Thanks for Making Me More Antigay
- White House to Unveil New HIV Strategy
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- Modern-Day Martin Luthers Show Support for Ousted Gay Methodist Minister