Massachusetts considers civil unions legislation
September 09 2003 12:00 AM ET
Leaders of the Massachusetts state senate are preparing legislation to legalize same-sex civil unions, The Boston Globe reports. The move, by senate president Robert E. Travaglini and his top lieutenants, comes as the state's supreme judicial court is set to issue a ruling on whether gay marriage should be legalized. Many experts believe the court will rule in favor of legal recognition of gay relationships.
Travaglini told the Globe that he is committed to bringing the civil unions legislation to the floor but that he will wait until after the court issues its ruling. "Being an advocate of civil rights and an advocate of fairness and having supported domestic partnerships 20 years ago, it's just a natural progression for me," he said about his support of civil unions. "I understand the concept of fairness and will be supportive of it."
Although supportive of civil unions, Travaglini, a Roman Catholic, said he opposes legalizing gay marriage. House speaker Thomas M. Finneran and Gov. Mitt Romney, meanwhile, oppose both civil unions and gay marriage.
- Fred Phelps Excommunicated and Near Death?
- LISTEN: Right-Wing Pundits Blast Guinness's Pullout From St. Pat's Parade
- A Brief History of Gays and the St. Patrick's Day Parade
- WATCH: Ark. High School Yearbook Refuses to Profile Out Student
- LGBT Exclusion Costs St. Paddy's Parades
- WATCH: First Gay Hug Parodies First Kiss Viral Video
- Youth School Bans Bullied Kid's My Little Pony Schoolbag 12 min 9 sec ago
- Transgender Wendy Williams Apologizes for Transphobic Panel Discussion 19 min 36 sec ago
- Television RPDR: Music Producer Lucian Piane on Pushing RuPaul & Working with Idol Contestants 25 min 44 sec ago
- Television How I Met Your Dad Adds Second Gay Character 27 min 31 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Wanda to Ellen: Look At the Lesbian Falling Off the Pole 30 min 46 sec ago
- Media LISTEN: Right-Wing Pundits Blast Guinness's Pullout From St. Pat's Parade 38 min 11 sec ago
- Travel WeHo's Most Notorious Nudie Motel Going Mainstream 1 hour 11 min ago