Actor Tab Hunter to discuss gay life in memoir
September 10 2003 12:00 AM ET
The New York Times reports that 1950s screen idol Tab Hunter will come out in a memoir he is writing for publisher Simon and Schuster. The book is scheduled for release in 2005. "Years ago," Hunter tells the Times, "the great producer at Paramount, Howard Koch, told me I should write a book, and I laughed and said, 'I don't have the guts.'"
In the book Hunter will discuss his abusive childhood, working in Hollywood as the studio system died out, and his struggle to remain in the closet. The actor's relationship with fellow gay thespian Anthony Perkins will be covered as well. "I didn't flaunt things," says Hunter. "I know when Tony and I went to the movies, he would say, 'Let's go in disguise.' We always wore baseball caps. Or he'd say, 'You go at a certain time, I'll go later.' I knew people were talking. I didn't like that."
Hunter's films include Damn Yankees, Battle Cry, The Pleasure of His Company, The Life and Times of Judge Roy Bean, Lust in the Dust, and John Waters's Polyester.
- Op-ed: In Defense of Looking
- This Is How Every Parent Should Respond After Their 13-Year-Old Comes Out
- After Elimination: Vivacious of RuPaul's Drag Race Season 6
- Op-ed: NOM Can’t Shut Me Down
- Throwback Thursday: Richard Simmons Gets Inappropriate on Whose Line Is It Anyway?
- Op-ed: No One Is Invincible
- Travel Destination of the Week: Denmark March 13 2014 7:41 PM
- Women WATCH: Daughter Teaches Mom Lesbian Slang March 13 2014 7:27 PM
- Women What do the OINTB Season 2 Promo Pics Mean for the Ladies of Litchfield? March 13 2014 7:14 PM
- Women BREAKING: Father of Murdered Texas Lesbian Arrested March 13 2014 6:34 PM
- Travel Directors, Reality Housewives and the Sad Story of WeHo's 'Death Corner' March 13 2014 5:33 PM
- Politics Michigan's First Out Federal Judge Confirmed March 13 2014 4:34 PM
- Arts & Entertainment Model Andrej Pejic Shouts: 'I'm a Boy and I'm a Girl!' March 13 2014 4:25 PM