Transgendered woman wins suit to change name
September 12 2003 11:00 PM ET
A transgendered Georgia woman Thursday won the right to change her name, a move originally rejected by an Augusta judge. State court judge Duncan Wheale had denied Ben Gatliff's first petition to for a name change to Vickee Gatliff, saying Gatliff would have to wait until sex-reassignment surgery was complete. A gay rights organization helped Gatliff challenge the ruling. Doctors recommend that sex-reassignment patients change their identity before surgery.
Greg Nevins, an Atlanta attorney for Lambda Legal Defense and Education Fund, appeared before Wheale on Thursday and presented medical opinions about the need to change names prior to surgery. Gatliff has encountered problems because her credit cards and driver's license read Ben Gatliff. Wheale granted Gatliff's request.
"We were optimistic that if we were allowed to present how important a name change is in the transitioning process, we'd win," Nevins said. "It's an important part of the medical treatment that you live completely in the gender you're transitioning to."
When Gatliff's transition is complete, possibly by 2005, her birth certificate also will be changed to designate that Vickee Gatliff is female.
- Op-ed: Don't Worry, Tom Daley's Getting Biphobic Tweets, Too
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- Op-ed: Stop Judging Tom Daley and Dustin Lance Black
- WATCH: Jared Leto on Avoiding Trans Character 'Cliché' for 'Dallas Buyers Club'
- Russia's High Court Declares 'Gay Propaganda' Ban Constitutional
- Op-ed: Straight Teen Girls Can Change the World
- Entertainment News Listen to The Sound Of Music Live Soundtrack with Carrie Underwood 31 min 6 sec ago
- Travel Berlin's Best Neighborhoods: A Primer 36 min 11 sec ago
- Entertainment News James Franco Teases 50 Shades of Batman & Robin 1 hour 22 min ago
- Entertainment News Tom Daley: 'It Really Was Love at First Sight' 1 hour 28 min ago
- Sports WATCH: The Best From 6 Olympic Gay Divers 7:04 AM
- Commentary Op-ed: Stop Judging Tom Daley and Dustin Lance Black 6:00 AM
- Bisexual Op-ed: Don't Worry, Tom Daley's Getting Biphobic Tweets, Too 5:00 AM