Canadian Oxford Dictionary redefines marriage
September 16 2003 11:00 PM ET
The new edition of the Canadian Oxford Dictionary, scheduled to be published next fall, will reflect an updated definition of marriage to include gay and lesbian relationships, the Edmonton Journal reports. The new definition of marriage will read "the legal or religious union of two people," said editor in chief Katherine Barber. "Dictionaries just reflect what the actual reality is," Barber explained. "If a dictionary says a marriage is the union of a man and a woman, that's just describing the fact that has been the case for hundreds of years. But if the law changes or society changes or something happens where the word marriage comes to apply to same-sex unions, we just change the definition."
Barber said she made the change after a ruling by the Ontario court of appeal on June 10, in which the court decided that restricting matrimony to "one man and one woman" violated the dignity of gay couples, and it redefined marriage as "the voluntary union for life of two persons to the exclusion of all others." Until recently the Canadian legal definition of marriage derived from an 1866 court ruling in England, in which Lord Penzance wrote, "I conceive that marriage, as understood in Christendom, may...be defined as the voluntary union for life of one man and one woman, to the exclusion of all others." But the word marriage, when traced back to its Latin origins, does not actually specify a man and a woman. According to the Reverend Walter Skeat's Etymological Dictionary of the English Language, the word marry properly means "to provide with a husband" and derives from the Latin mari, meaning "male." The Latin word for wife, marita, literally means "joined to a male." Barber said the reason some people object to a new definition boils down to homophobia. "They don't want to admit that gay people can have relationships that are just like their ideal heterosexual relationship," she said.
- WATCH: Rep. Polis's Epic Blowup on House Floor Over Immigration
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- Op-ed: Stop Judging Tom Daley and Dustin Lance Black
- WATCH: Colo. Baker Who Refused Gay Wedding Cake Appears In Court
- Is The GOP Discriminating Against Its Gay Candidates?
- WATCH: Bill O'Reilly's 'War on Christmas' Led By Abortionists and Married Gays
- Style Model Watch: Learn How To Charm The Camera With Marc Buckner 18 min 26 sec ago
- Election Is The GOP Discriminating Against Its Gay Candidates? 52 min 13 sec ago
- Travel Out Traveler Awards: Best Queer Cruise Excursion? 55 min 7 sec ago
- Military Louisiana National Guard Will Extend Partner Benefits 1 hour 5 min ago
- Politics WATCH: Rep. Polis's Epic Blowup on House Floor 1 hour 7 min ago
- Election Chris Christie Gets Heat for Backing Oklahoma's Governor 1 hour 13 min ago
- Women WATCH: Taylor Schilling and Lizzy Caplan in Variety Roundtable 1 hour 18 min ago