Suit challenges California DP law
September 23 2003 11:00 PM ET
Supporters of extending marriage rights to same-sex couples in California didn't have long to celebrate a new domestic-partnership law before opponents moved Monday to block it. In response to Gov. Gray Davis's signing of the bill, Republican state senator Pete Knight filed a lawsuit in Sacramento County superior court to stop implementation of the new law, which would extend most of the rights enjoyed by married couples to registered domestic partners.
Knight cited Proposition 22, the ballot initiative he authored and voters approved in 2000 confirming that "only marriage between a man and a woman is valid and recognized in the state of California," as the basis for the lawsuit. The lawsuit argues that the DP bill violates the state constitution because of Proposition 22. The suit names Davis, secretary of state Kevin Shelley, and two other state agencies as defendants.
Assemblywoman Jackie Goldberg (D-Los Angeles), who wrote the bill, said Knight's lawsuit isn't surprising. She said the Legislative Counsel of California reviewed the DP bill earlier this year and determined that it does not contradict Proposition 22. "The legislative counsel decided this was not marriage, that this was domestic partnership," Goldberg said. "[The opponents of the DP bill] are not going to win, but they'll raise a lot of money and confuse a lot of people."
At an October 15 hearing Knight's attorneys will ask the court to stop implementation of the law until the case can be presented in court, said Robert Tyler, a lawyer for the conservative-oriented Alliance Defense Fund.
- Op-ed: Why I Filmed My Coming Out Journey
- WATCH: Ben Affleck and SNL Crew Go to Ex-Gay Camp
- WATCH: Elton John Slams 'Inhumane, Isolating' Anti-LGBT Laws In Russia
- Hot Sheet: Hark the Herald Angel Swings
- Lady Gaga Congratulates Tom Daley, Urges Boycott of Sochi Olympics
- Nebraska Republican Vying for Mantle as Most Antigay in Primary
- Marriage Equality Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination 23 min 8 sec ago
- Art In the Galleries: Transformer 4:00 AM
- Politics WATCH: Elton John Slams Russia's Anti-LGBT Laws Onstage December 06 2013 8:40 PM
- Women American Horror Story: Coven -- Ritual Witch-ual December 06 2013 8:30 PM
- Travel Wanna Win a Wedding in West Hollywood? December 06 2013 7:26 PM
- Election Nebraska Republican Vying for Mantle as Most Antigay in Primary December 06 2013 6:53 PM
- Women WATCH: Santana Lopez as the Best Bad Santa Ever! December 06 2013 6:33 PM