Second lawsuit targets Calfornia's DP law
September 26 2003 11:00 PM ET
Opponents of California laws extending marriage-like rights to same-sex couples have filed a lawsuit against Gov. Gray Davis and other state officials opposing the laws' implementation. Campaign for California Families filed the lawsuit Tuesday in Los Angeles superior court claiming that AB25 and the Domestic Partner Act, which grant rights to registered domestic partners, violate a state-approved proposition. Voters in 2000 approved Proposition 22, which confirmed that "only marriage between a man and a woman is valid and recognized in the state of California." A similar lawsuit was filed last week in Sacramento.
"Gray Davis and Cruz Bustamante have conspired to bring homosexual 'marriage' to California, disobeying the clear orders of the people," said Randy Thomasson, executive director of Campaign for California Families. "They have trashed the vote of the people and perverted the sacred institution of marriage."
In October 2001, Davis signed AB25, which granted 15 specific rights to registered domestic partners. The measure became law in January 2002. Last week the governor signed the Domestic Partner Act, which expands the rights of gay couples in areas ranging from health coverage to property ownership and funeral arrangements. It becomes effective January 1, 2005.
The lawsuit seeks the nullification of AB25 and an injunction to prevent the Domestic Partner Act from being implemented. The case is similar to a lawsuit filed Friday in Sacramento by state senator Pete Knight to stop implementation of the Domestic Partner Act. In his lawsuit Knight also cited Proposition 22 and said the newly enacted bill violates the state constitution. His suit names Davis, secretary of state Kevin Shelley, and two other state agencies as defendants.
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- Op-ed: Don't Worry, Tom Daley's Getting Biphobic Tweets, Too
- Op-ed: Stop Judging Tom Daley and Dustin Lance Black
- WATCH: Jared Leto on Avoiding Trans Character 'Cliché' for 'Dallas Buyers Club'
- Op-ed: Straight Teen Girls Can Change the World
- Russia's High Court Declares 'Gay Propaganda' Ban Constitutional
- Entertainment News James Franco Teases 50 Shades of Batman & Robin 8 min 17 sec ago
- Entertainment News Tom Daley: 'It Really Was Love at First Sight' 14 min 17 sec ago
- Sports WATCH: The Best From 6 Olympic Gay Divers 7:04 AM
- Commentary Op-ed: Stop Judging Tom Daley and Dustin Lance Black 6:00 AM
- Bisexual Op-ed: Don't Worry, Tom Daley's Getting Biphobic Tweets, Too 5:00 AM
- Women WATCH: Lesbian-Themed Web Series 'Kelsey' - Kelsey Gets All Kinds of Action December 04 2013 8:27 PM
- Travel Out Traveler Awards: Best Cruise Line? December 04 2013 7:42 PM