Senate confirms Mosman
September 27 2003 12:00 AM ET
The U.S. Senate on Thursday voted 93-0 to confirm Michael Mosman to a U.S. district court judgeship in Portland, Ore. Mosman, 46, a U.S. attorney in Oregon, had earned enthusiastic support from several Oregon judges as well as from the state's two senators, Republican Gordon Smith and Democrat Ron Wyden.
Though Thursday's vote was a breeze, Mosman's path to the bench was delayed this spring when gay rights groups raised questions about his support of privacy rights for gay people. While clerking for former Supreme Court justice Lewis F. Powell in 1986, Mosman had written legal memos urging Powell not to strike down a Georgia sodomy law by expanding privacy rights. Powell went along and was the deciding vote upholding the law. The case stood until this summer, when the high court struck down a similar statute in Texas.
Gay groups dropped their objections to Mosman in May after he met with them and Wyden, assuring them he supports equal rights. Wyden said Mosman also pledged not to let his antiabortion views affect rulings from the bench. "Mike has worked hard to show his commitment to equal rights for all Americans," Wyden said in a statement Thursday.
- WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah
- Timothy Dolan Uncomfortable as Pope Calls for Study of Civil Unions
- Op-ed: A Second Look at Bisexuality
- South Carolina Legislators Vote to Cut University Funding for Assigning LGBT Books
- Low-Income Apartment Complex for LGBT Seniors Opens in Philadelphia
- Johnny and Tara at 30 Rock, Can't Stop With Play-By-Play
- Politics South Carolina Legislators Vote to Cut University Funding for Assigning LGBT Books 4:46 PM
- Politics WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah 3:09 PM
- Religion Uncomfortable: Timothy Dolan Versus Pope on Civil Unions 3:04 PM
- Politics WATCH: Low-Income Apartments for LGBT Seniors Open 1:49 PM
- Comedy Johnny and Tara at 30 Rock, Can't Stop With Play-By-Play 1:00 PM
- Comedy 8 Movies Made Better With 'Let It Go' 11:50 AM
- Film Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW March 08 2014 8:15 PM