North Carolina governor hears pleas to spare gay murderer
October 02 2003 12:00 AM ET
Attorneys for convicted murderer Edward Hartman urged North Carolina governor Mike Easley to spare his life Tuesday, saying no one should be executed when prosecutors try to inflame jurors with mention of a defendant's homosexuality. "This case is an important case in North Carolina," said Hartman attorney Edwin L. West III. "It is never acceptable and never OK when a prosecutor in a case tries to inject prejudice and discriminates."
Hartman, 38, is scheduled to be executed at 2 a.m. Friday. He was moved Monday afternoon to the death-watch area of Central Prison. Hartman admitted killing 77-year-old Herman Smith Jr. in the Pinetops community of Northampton County in 1993. Smith was shot and killed in his home, where Hartman was living at the time. Northampton County prosecutor Valerie Mitchell Asbell said, after meeting with the governor, that appellate courts had already examined the issues regarding prosecutor David Beard's references to Hartman's sexuality in his questioning during the trial; they found no reason to reverse the case on those grounds, she said. "This is a case where the victim was 77 years old and killed in his home," Asbell said. "This killing was premeditated. It was a horrible killing."
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Is Mr. Peabody & Sherman About Adoption by Gays?
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Anne Rice Announces New Vampire Chronicles Novel
- Op-ed: In Boston, an Ugly St. Patrick's Day Tradition Continues
- Trans Woman Sues CrossFit After Being Told to Compete in Men's Division
- Couples/Personal Finances The Financial Effects of DOMA: Ushering in a New Year Money Minute 37 min 25 sec ago
- Arts & Entertainment Opera Director Gerard Mortier Dies at 70 51 min 48 sec ago
- Television MTV's Awkward Adds 2 New Gay Characters 1 hour 12 min ago
- Print Issue The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender 6:01 AM
- Current Issue Editor’s Letter: April/May Issue 5:01 AM
- Parenting Is Mr. Peabody & Sherman About Adoption by Gays? 4:00 AM
- Media Former Fox Sportscaster Claims Anti-Antigay Discrimination March 10 2014 9:37 PM