Nation split on gay marriage, poll says
October 08 2003 12:00 AM ET
The nation is essentially split on the issue of gay marriage, according to a USA Today/CNN/Gallup Poll released Tuesday. Of 1,003 people questioned, 48% said allowing gay unions "will change our society for the worse," while 50% said gay unions would be an improvement or would have no effect, USA Today reports. The poll suggests that younger Americans are more supportive of gay unions, as 67% of those between the ages of 18 and 29 and 53% of those between the ages of 30 and 49 said allowing gay unions will have no harmful effect or might make society better.
"I am good friends with a gay couple who are wonderful, responsible, motivated people," says Heather Gravert, 25, a mother of two in Buffalo, N.Y. "I hate to see our society punish people like them by not allowing them to enjoy the rewards and benefits of the longtime commitment that straight couples get
through marriage. Our society lacks a sense of community and connection that couples like them can contribute."
The poll also found a three-way split among Americans regarding whether gay married couples should have legal parity with opposite-sex married couples. While 35% oppose such a policy, 32% approve, and 32% are somewhat indifferent. "I don't see much difference," says Atress Harrison, 62, of Slinger, Wis. "I just figure the people who are sharing a life should be extended the same benefits my wife and I have."
- Arts & Entertainment EXCLUSIVE: Elton John's Las Vegas Performance of 'Benny and the Jets' 17 min 41 sec ago
- Sports Brooklyn Nets Stick with Jason Collins 25 min 52 sec ago
- Television Billy Eichner: Wants to Marry Meryl Streep & Get Down With Judi Dench 29 min 29 sec ago
- HIV & AIDS HIV 101: Does Being Positive Mean I Have to Stop Having Sex? 44 min 43 sec ago
- Arts & Entertainment EXCLUSIVE: Neil Patrick Harris, Behind the Shoot 1 hour 52 min ago
- HIV & AIDS Why Are a Higher Percentage of Native Americans Dying from AIDS Complications Than Any Other Group? 9:10 AM
- Arts & Entertainment Lorde Is Not Having Your Stupid Lesbian Joke 8:44 AM