Florida lawmaker quits Episcopal Church in protest
October 10 2003 11:00 PM ET
Johnnie Byrd, speaker of the Florida house of representatives and a candidate for the U.S. Senate, is leaving the Episcopal Church because of its decision to confirm the election of an openly gay man as bishop. Byrd said he would return to the Baptist Church, the denomination of his youth.
The election of openly gay reverend V. Gene Robinson as bishop of New Hampshire this summer has split the U.S. Episcopal Church. Conservative Episcopalians, outraged by Robinson's confirmation, have asked worldwide Anglican primates to intervene and are urging other church members to stop funding the denomination.
"We decided to make the move when the national church went into the wild blue yonder," said Byrd, a Republican. "We felt like the church left us." Byrd said he and his family are now attending Bell Shoals Baptist Church in Brandon, Fla. "We want to go somewhere that does what we think the Bible says," Byrd said.
Byrd, who had been a chancellor at St. Peter's Episcopal Church in Plant City, Fla., consulted with Episcopal reverend Tom Thoeni before leaving the congregation, which had publicly opposed the New Hampshire bishop's confirmation.
Byrd is seeking the U.S. Senate seat currently held by Democrat Bob Graham, who is in the midst of deciding whether to run again after ending his presidential campaign. Others in the Republican primary include state senator Dan Webster of Winter Park and former U.S. congressman Bill McCollum.
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Taylor Smith 1 hour 47 min ago
- Women WATCH: Trans Man Has Vagina Pride March 07 2014 7:51 PM
- Hot Sheet Hot Sheet: History Boys March 07 2014 7:25 PM
- Marriage Equality Here's The Most Absurd Thing You Missed in Michigan's Marriage Equality Trial March 07 2014 7:20 PM
- Uganda As Aid Cuts Continue, Ugandan Officials Not Concerned March 07 2014 6:57 PM
- Religion Fired Gay Administrator Sues Wash. Catholic School March 07 2014 6:55 PM
- Women Who the F Is … California Politico Toni Atkins? March 07 2014 5:53 PM