BY Advocate.com Editors
October 16 2003 11:00 PM ET
HIV caregivers urge Congress to boost ADAP spending
More than 750 HIV caregivers across the country have sent more than 2,200 personalized letters to their members of Congress asking their lawmakers to boost planned 2004 spending for the nation's AIDS Drug Assistance Programs, according to an American Academy of HIV Medicine press release. The letters were sent through a mass mailing campaign coordinated by AAHIVM, whose members provide care for more than 275,000 U.S. HIV/AIDS patients. To date, about half of the AAHIVM members have participated in the campaign.
"HIV providers are giving Congress some serious medical advice," said AAHIVM CEO Scott Hitt, MD. "If left untreated, the ADAP crisis could cut access to vital health care for thousands of HIV-positive patients nationwide. Patients need consistent access to treatment to avoid drug failure, and if we can't guarantee they will get the medications they need, more people will die."
ADAP leaders say spending on the programs needs to be increased by $283 million in fiscal 2004 to eliminate current waiting lists and allow new enrollees into the programs. But the House is considering boosting ADAP spending by $38.9 million in fiscal 2004, while the Senate's spending proposal includes just a $25 million increase. For more information about the AAHIVM campaign or the ADAP crisis, go online to www.aahivm.org.
- WATCH: Elton John Slams 'Inhumane, Isolating' Anti-LGBT Laws In Russia
- Op-ed: Why I Filmed My Coming Out Journey
- Lady Gaga Congratulates Tom Daley, Urges Boycott of Sochi Olympics
- WATCH: What Do These Gay Hockey Players Want for Christmas?
- WATCH: Ben Affleck and SNL Crew Go to Ex-Gay Camp
- Hot Sheet: Hark the Herald Angel Swings
- Art In the Galleries: Transformer 24 min 46 sec ago
- Politics WATCH: Elton John Slams Russia's Anti-LGBT Laws Onstage December 06 2013 8:40 PM
- Women American Horror Story: Coven -- Ritual Witch-ual December 06 2013 8:30 PM
- Travel Wanna Win a Wedding in West Hollywood? December 06 2013 7:26 PM
- Election Nebraska Republican Vying for Mantle as Most Antigay in Primary December 06 2013 6:53 PM
- Women WATCH: Santana Lopez as the Best Bad Santa Ever! December 06 2013 6:33 PM
- Religion WATCH: Robertson Prays for Gays 'Recruited' By Abuse December 06 2013 4:41 PM