U. of Missouri offers pro-gay protections
October 17 2003 12:00 AM ET
After more than a decade-long debate, the University of Missouri's antidiscrimination policies now prohibit discrimination based on sexual orientation. The four-campus university system's board of curators approved the policy change Thursday during a meeting at the University of Missouri-St. Louis. With the action, sexual orientation joins other protected categories, such as race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, and status as a Vietnam veteran.
Students, faculty, and staff have been pressing for the clarification for about a decade, and many of them applauded the decision. "Finally, at long last, a victory for fairness," said Robin Cook, a senior on the Columbia campus. Yet, he added, it is not a "groundbreaking historic decision." Rather, the university is simply catching up with other institutions, he said.
University of Missouri documents explaining the policy change say most comparable universities include sexual orientation as a protected class in their antidiscrimination policies. In Missouri, similar policies are in place at Truman State University, Central Missouri State University, Saint Louis University, and Washington University.
- The A-List Interview: Chris O'Dowd
- Timothy Dolan Uncomfortable as Pope Calls for Study of Civil Unions
- Op-ed: A Second Look at Bisexuality
- Low-Income Apartment Complex for LGBT Seniors Opens in Philadelphia
- Gay Politics - Marriage Equality, Gay Rights, Anti-Discrimination
- Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW
- Current Issue The A-List Interview: Chris O'Dowd 1 hour 5 min ago
- Politics South Carolina Legislators Vote to Cut University Funding for Assigning LGBT Books March 09 2014 4:46 PM
- Politics WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah March 09 2014 3:09 PM
- Religion Uncomfortable: Timothy Dolan Versus Pope on Civil Unions March 09 2014 3:04 PM
- Politics WATCH: Low-Income Apartments for LGBT Seniors Open March 09 2014 1:49 PM
- Comedy Johnny and Tara at 30 Rock, Can't Stop With Play-By-Play March 09 2014 1:00 PM
- Comedy 8 Movies Made Better With 'Let It Go' March 09 2014 11:50 AM