U. of Missouri offers pro-gay protections
October 16 2003 11:00 PM ET
After more than a decade-long debate, the University of Missouri's antidiscrimination policies now prohibit discrimination based on sexual orientation. The four-campus university system's board of curators approved the policy change Thursday during a meeting at the University of Missouri-St. Louis. With the action, sexual orientation joins other protected categories, such as race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, and status as a Vietnam veteran.
Students, faculty, and staff have been pressing for the clarification for about a decade, and many of them applauded the decision. "Finally, at long last, a victory for fairness," said Robin Cook, a senior on the Columbia campus. Yet, he added, it is not a "groundbreaking historic decision." Rather, the university is simply catching up with other institutions, he said.
University of Missouri documents explaining the policy change say most comparable universities include sexual orientation as a protected class in their antidiscrimination policies. In Missouri, similar policies are in place at Truman State University, Central Missouri State University, Saint Louis University, and Washington University.
- Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful Christmas Lights
- Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination, Judge Rules
- WATCH: Pastor Rick Warren's Orwellian 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality
- WATCH: Elton John Slams 'Inhumane, Isolating' Anti-LGBT Laws In Russia
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- Op-ed: Why I Filmed My Coming Out Journey
- Transgender Gay, Trans Identities Don't Exist, Says Colo. School Board Member 47 min 44 sec ago
- World News PHOTOS: Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful New Lights 1:47 AM
- Travel Wedding Bells Ring Down Under December 07 2013 3:33 PM
- Religion WATCH: Rick Warren's 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality December 07 2013 3:32 PM
- Entertainment News Macklemore & Ryan Lewis Score 7 Grammy Nominations December 07 2013 1:32 PM
- Marriage Equality Washington's Weddings Were 17 Percent Gay Last Year December 07 2013 8:00 AM
- Marriage Equality Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination December 07 2013 7:00 AM