Head of Poland's Catholic Church opposes gay rights
October 21 2003 11:00 PM ET
The head of the Roman Catholic Church in Poland said Tuesday that he is depressed by homosexuality and hates seeing men kissing each other, Agence France-Presse reports. The comments came as the ruling party prepared to submit legislation granting domestic-partner benefits. "It depresses me a lot because it is against human nature," Cardinal Jozef Glemp said on public radio in comments regarding the new bill. "I simply hate seeing men kiss each other. Maybe I'm old-fashioned." Glemp also reiterated the church's opposition to plans to liberalize laws against abortion.
The ruling Democratic Left Alliance (SLD) party has prepared bills on both issues and is awaiting the go-ahead from its top party body before submitting them to parliament. However, it is far from certain that the legislation will be passed, as the SLD does not have a majority in parliament and polls show the government of SLD leader Leszek Miller to be deeply unpopular. To date there is no legislation addressing gay rights in Poland, where gay men and lesbians tend to remain in the closet. "All we need is a decision by the [party] to submit these two drafts to parliament; it could happen anytime," SLD spokesman Robert Smolen told AFP. Under the gay rights bill "partners would be allowed to register and to benefit from the same legal advantages as for heterosexual marriages," Smolen said, referring to inheritance and taxes.
- Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License
- Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination, Judge Rules
- German President Will Boycott Sochi Olympics
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful Christmas Lights
- WATCH: Ellen and Portia Recreate Bound 2
- World News German President Will Boycott Sochi Olympics December 08 2013 3:16 PM
- Marriage Equality Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License December 08 2013 2:31 PM
- Comedy WATCH: Ellen and Portia Recreate Bound 2 December 08 2013 2:15 PM
- Music A Brief History of Macklemore's 'Same Love' December 08 2013 9:10 AM
- Transgender Gay, Trans Identities Don't Exist, Says Colo. School Board Member December 08 2013 7:00 AM
- World News PHOTOS: Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful New Lights December 08 2013 1:47 AM
- Travel Wedding Bells Ring Down Under December 07 2013 3:33 PM