Connecticut gay beating case settled
October 23 2003 12:00 AM ET
Two men charged with beating a gay man at a neighborhood picnic in Shelton, Conn., last year have accepted a plea deal that will mean no prison time. George Hamilton, 42, of Shelton, and Bryan Wendland, 25, of Stratford, were given suspended six-year prison terms after pleading no contest to assault charges stemming from the attack. Both men also received probation with special conditions, including diversity training and community service.
The attack occurred during a Labor Day picnic at Hamilton's home. According to a lawsuit filed by the victim, Hamilton called the man a "faggot" and demanded he leave the party. The lawsuit claims Hamilton then began kicking and punching the victim and that Wendland joined in the attack. The victim suffered two concussions, a torn spleen, a damaged liver, three broken ribs, vision damage, and memory loss. Edward Gavin, Hamilton's attorney, said Tuesday that there were a number of issues involved, including that the defendants had no criminal records. "Things aren't always what they seem," Gavin said. "Upon a fair review of the case, everyone agreed the victim was not attacked as a result of his sexual orientation." Kerry Gleason, the victim's attorney, said his client is "not thrilled with the outcome of the case" but recognizes the state's position.
- Fox's Newest Cop Comedy Is Quietly Breaking Ground
- Op-ed: In Defense of Looking
- WATCH: Chelsea Handler Skewers Piers Morgan as a 'Terrible Interviewer'
- Seat Filler: What's Gay Off-Broadway
- S.C. House Approves Budget Cuts to Colleges With LGBT Curricula
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Marriage Equality Young Repubs Express Big Support for Marriage Equality 6 min 35 sec ago
- Television Teen Wolf Adds Gay Character, Expands Lacrosse Team 10 min 30 sec ago
- Television Teen Wolf Adds Gay Character, Expands Lacrosse Team 10 min 31 sec ago
- Women 5 Reasons to Watch CW's Arrow and 'Quiver!' 10 min 41 sec ago
- Politics Kenyan Lesbian Granted Asylum in U.S. 10 min 58 sec ago
- Religion WATCH: Methodist Church Drops Charges Against Minister 31 min 36 sec ago
- Media WATCH: Chelsea Handler Skewers Piers Morgan as a 'Terrible Interviewer' 1 hour 1 min ago