Injunction issued against suspect in Boston gay bashing
October 22 2003 11:00 PM ET
The Massachusetts attorney general has won a civil rights injunction against a Lynn man charged with assaulting two gay men outside a Boston nightclub. The preliminary injunction, issued by Suffolk County superior court judge Catherine White, bars James Alevizos, 28, from threatening, intimidating, coercing, or communicating with the two men he allegedly attacked last spring. "These victims were subjected to prejudice and hatred in the course of walking along a Boston street," Attorney General Thomas Reilly said in a statement. "My office stands ready to hold accountable those who violate the civil rights of other individuals." Alevizos's attorney, Mark Miliotis, questioned whether the authorities had done their "due diligence" in investigating the allegations against his client. He said there was a "significant issue" as to whether Alevizos had been correctly identified as the attacker, adding, "I think that there's a risk of the miscarriage of justice here."
Alevizos is free on bail after pleading innocent earlier this month to two counts of assault and battery with a dangerous weapon, two counts of assault and battery, and two counts of civil rights violation with injuries. His next court hearing is November 4. Prosecutors allege that Alevizos verbally and physically assaulted two men at about 2:30 a.m. on April 28 as they were leaving Gay Night at
the Avalon nightclub in the city's Fenway section. Several other unidentified men also joined in the attack, prosecutors said. One of the victims was knocked unconscious in the attack, while the
other suffered a broken jaw and fractured cheekbone that forced him to take a medical leave from school.
- Film Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW March 08 2014 7:15 PM
- Religion Archbishop of NY Applauds NFL Hopeful Michael Sam for Coming Out March 08 2014 5:04 PM
- Love and Sex Sexually Explicit Videos No Longer Allowed on Vine March 08 2014 1:06 PM
- Dance NYC Boylesque Fest Teases Return March 08 2014 6:00 AM
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Taylor Smith March 08 2014 4:00 AM
- Women WATCH: Trans Man Has Vagina Pride March 07 2014 7:51 PM
- Hot Sheet Hot Sheet: History Boys March 07 2014 7:25 PM