Injunction issued against suspect in Boston gay bashing

BY admin

October 23 2003 12:00 AM ET

The Massachusetts attorney general has won a civil rights injunction against a Lynn man charged with assaulting two gay men outside a Boston nightclub. The preliminary injunction, issued by Suffolk County superior court judge Catherine White, bars James Alevizos, 28, from threatening, intimidating, coercing, or communicating with the two men he allegedly attacked last spring. "These victims were subjected to prejudice and hatred in the course of walking along a Boston street," Attorney General Thomas Reilly said in a statement. "My office stands ready to hold accountable those who violate the civil rights of other individuals." Alevizos's attorney, Mark Miliotis, questioned whether the authorities had done their "due diligence" in investigating the allegations against his client. He said there was a "significant issue" as to whether Alevizos had been correctly identified as the attacker, adding, "I think that there's a risk of the miscarriage of justice here."

Alevizos is free on bail after pleading innocent earlier this month to two counts of assault and battery with a dangerous weapon, two counts of assault and battery, and two counts of civil rights violation with injuries. His next court hearing is November 4. Prosecutors allege that Alevizos verbally and physically assaulted two men at about 2:30 a.m. on April 28 as they were leaving Gay Night at
the Avalon nightclub in the city's Fenway section. Several other unidentified men also joined in the attack, prosecutors said. One of the victims was knocked unconscious in the attack, while the
other suffered a broken jaw and fractured cheekbone that forced him to take a medical leave from school.

Tags: World

AddThis

READER COMMENTS ()

Quantcast