Antigay Baptist school appeals voucher program rejection
October 23 2003 11:00 PM ET
A private Baptist school will appeal a decision by Denver-area school officials to reject its voucher-program application because the school would expel gay students. Last week's rejections by Denver Public Schools and Jefferson County officials are unfair and contradict the purpose of the state voucher plan, said Rodolfo Gomez, principal of Silver State Baptist School in Lakewood. DPS board members rejected Silver State's application on Thursday, citing its discipline policy calling for automatic dismissal for premarital sex, homosexuality, and "sexual perversion." Under the state voucher program, a school board can reject a private school's application if it advocates or fosters unlawful behavior or teaches hatred of a person or group. "The board's interpretation of the statute is that a school cannot promote hate," DPS school board president Elaine Berman said on Tuesday. "We believe that this school's policy toward various groups does promote hate and discrimination." Jefferson County school board members rejected Silver State's application for similar reasons.
Gomez said his school has not received formal notices of denial, but he plans to appeal any rejection. He said an openly gay student would be "counseled as to the biblical understanding as to what it is that is appropriate and inappropriate in that situation." He said the 202-student school has not had an openly gay student in its 39-year history. "Because we don't have a history, I would say we would treat it like other students caught with a smoking problem," Gomez said. "We work with them through the process, and once we see they don't have any desire to correct the problem or they don't want to deal with it appropriately, then we make those determinations" about expulsion.
Private schools whose applications to participate in the voucher program are rejected have 30 days to appeal to the state Board of Education, which is expected to begin hearing appeals in December.
- PHOTOS: 6 Couples Australia's High Court Says Aren't Married Anymore
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- WATCH: Right Wing Swoons Over Antigay Colo. Baker Ready to Go to Jail for Jesus
- PHOTOS: India's Supreme Court Reinstates Sodomy Ban
- 10 Snarky Quotes That Will Make You Miss Michael Kors on Project Runway
- Blogger: Salvation Army No Friend to LGBT Folks
- Marriage Equality Australia's High Court Says These Couples Aren't Married 37 min 44 sec ago
- Women Meet Gender Scientist Anne Fausto-Sterling 1 hour 32 min ago
- Women WATCH: Michelle Chamuel Returns to The Voice with 'Go Down Singing' 2 hours 4 min ago
- Politics Mich. Governor Condemns RNC Member's Latest Antigay Remark 2 hours 13 min ago
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Right Wing Swoons Over Antigay Baker 2 hours 29 min ago
- Travel What Airline Scored 100% on HRC's Corporate Equality Index? 2 hours 29 min ago
- Entertainment News The Queer Quotient at the SAG Awards 6:03 PM