Gephardt appoints gay activist to head his presidential campaign
October 28 2003 1:00 AM ET
Rep. Dick Gephardt, whose lesbian daughter came out earlier this year, on Monday named longtime gay Democratic activist David Mixner as cochair of his presidential campaign. "I am honored and proud to have David's support and friendship and know that his political and fund-raising skills will be invaluable to our efforts," Gephardt said in a statement. "Together, we're going to fight for an America where our economy is strong and our families are secure. We're going to build a country where no American is left out or left behind."
David Mixner has been involved in public policy for nearly 40 years and has worked in over 75 campaigns as campaign manager, fund-raiser, and strategist. Most notably, Mixner served as senior campaign adviser for Bill Clinton's 1992 candidacy for president and is well-known for having garnered him considerable support from the gay and lesbian community. After Clinton backpedaled on a promise to allow gay men and lesbians in the military by helping to create "don't ask, don't tell," Mixner gained national attention by protesting Clinton in front of the White House.
Mixner is also a successful international consultant with an expertise in HIV/AIDS. Among his other activities, he has been a past member of the Democratic National Committee, a national cochair of the Gay and Lesbian Victory Fund, and worked for AIDS Project Los Angeles. "I have known and worked closely with Dick Gephardt for over a decade on important issues, including HIV/AIDS, human rights, and concerns about the state of our planet," Mixner said. "I have always found him to be powerfully committed to justice and freedom with dignity."
- Film Why Television Is Outpacing Film in Diversity 4 min 44 sec ago
- Current Issue A Letter to My Partners 1 hour 3 min ago
- Current Issue Number Crunch: A Church in Crisis 2 hours 4 min ago
- Current Issue The A-List Interview: Chris O'Dowd 4:00 AM
- Politics South Carolina Legislators Vote to Cut University Funding for Assigning LGBT Books March 09 2014 4:46 PM
- Politics WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah March 09 2014 3:09 PM
- Religion Uncomfortable: Timothy Dolan Versus Pope on Civil Unions March 09 2014 3:04 PM