Montreal and Gay Games officials at odds
November 05 2003 1:00 AM ET
Organizers of the 2006 Gay Games in Montreal say an international event for gay athletes will take place in the city in 2006 with or without the support of the Federation of Gay Games, The [Montreal] Gazette reports. Montreal organizers and Gay Games officials are at odds over the number of participants that should be allowed: The federation is insisting that Montreal limit the number to 12,000 athletes. The limit is in response to the fact that the four previous Gay Games--in Vancouver, New York City, Amsterdam, and Sydney--all faced bankruptcy when the events concluded.
"We are calling for a reasonable and prudent plan based on 12,000 participants, and then wait until Montreal actually gets real money in the bank," said Kathleen Webster, cochair of the federation.
But Olympic gold medalist Mark Tewksbury, who is cochair of the Montreal games, said having as many participants as possible is essential to the event's success, since each participant pays a $200 fee. He adds that Montreal organizers already have commitments to cover $5 million of its planned $12 million budget.
"We're the first city to have $5 million secured from public funds, the first city to have a national broadcasting contract three years out from the games," he said.
Montreal and Gay Games officials will meet in Chicago this weekend to try to iron out their differences, The Gazette reports.
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Gay Tenn. 12-Year-Old Still Fighting the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill He Helped Kill
- Game of Thrones Actor Kristian Nairn Reveals He's Gay
- Fox's Newest Cop Comedy Is Quietly Breaking Ground
- Trans Woman Sues CrossFit After Being Told to Compete in Men's Division
- Women WATCH: Australia's Sexy New Lesbian Web Series Starting From ... Now! 40 min 59 sec ago
- Television 15 Most Ridiculous Real Housewives Taglines Ever 1 hour 22 min ago
- Arts & Entertainment 10 Things We Learned from Neil Patrick Harris 1 hour 27 min ago
- Women WATCH: Houston's Lesbian Mayor Reveals 'The Gay Agenda' 2 hours 45 min ago
- Marriage Equality Oregon Republicans Support Marriage Equality 2:18 PM
- Uganda Ugandans Challenge 'Jail the Gays' Law in Court UPDATED: 2:12 PM
- Travel Melissa Etheridge Performing Russian Anthem at Toronto WorldPride 1:48 PM