Florida launches campaign to recruit nongay adoptive parents
November 06 2003 1:00 AM ET
As Florida governor Jeb Bush announced a plan Tuesday to promote adoption through television ads and a streamlined adoption process, he said he would not support any effort to make it legal for gay men and lesbians to adopt children.
The program, called the No Place Like Home initiative, seeks to find homes for nearly 2,100 children in state care waiting to be matched with a family. The program "will result in more children in Florida finding a sense of life and belonging that they have sadly and tragically been deprived of the opportunity to enjoy," said Department of Children and Families secretary Jerry Regier. "Each child deserves a permanent family to love them and guide them."
In addition to the ad campaign, DCF will hold camps in which adults considering adoption can spend a week with children. The camps will open this spring in the Orlando and Tampa areas. The department also will form "HomeFinder Teams," which will try to find families for hard-to-place children, and streamline the adoption process to reduce the average wait to adopt from eight months to five months.
The state, however, won't make it easier for same-sex couples to adopt. Bush said he wouldn't support an effort to change Florida's laws to allow gay men or lesbians to adopt children. The state has the only law in the country that bars all gays from adopting children. A federal judge in Miami upheld the law, but the decision is being appealed.
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Anne Rice Announces New Vampire Chronicles Novel
- WATCH: Gay Man's Grandfather Came Out to Him at 90 Years Old
- Pet Shop Boys Remix Irish Drag Queen's Powerful Speech Against Homophobia
- Op-ed: In Boston, an Ugly St. Patrick's Day Tradition Continues
- Former Fox Sportscaster Claims Anti-Antigay Discrimination
- Media Former Fox Sportscaster Claims Anti-Antigay Discrimination March 10 2014 9:37 PM
- Women Lorde Takes Down Idiot DJ Who Implies She and Taylor Swift Are Lesbians March 10 2014 9:01 PM
- Women WATCH: Trailer for New Lesbian-Themed Series #Hashtag March 10 2014 7:54 PM
- Travel Sydney Mardi Gras: A Post-Mortem March 10 2014 7:47 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Marriage Equality Is an 'Extra Right,' Says Right-Wing Activist March 10 2014 7:44 PM
- Women Laurel Holloman Joins L Word Costars Leisha Hailey and Kate Moennig at Dinah! March 10 2014 6:22 PM
- Politics Lesbian Couple Sues Neighbors for Bias March 10 2014 6:08 PM