L.A. deputy police chief won't be tried
November 08 2003 12:00 AM ET
According to Los Angeles district attorney Steve Cooley's office, there is enough evidence to charge openly gay deputy police chief David Kalish with molesting two teenage Explorer Scouts more than 20 years ago, but the deadlines for prosecution have passed, the Los Angeles Times reports. Kalish, who is the highest-ranking openly gay LAPD officer and was a candidate for police chief last year, was placed on leave in March because of the investigation into the molestation charges.
"It's a travesty that Kalish was able to evade the law on a technicality," said attorney Todd A. Walburg, who represents two men who have filed molestation claims against Kalish. "Now, while Kalish lives his life as a free man, he has left several victims behind who are in constant pain from molestations that occurred when they were teenagers."
A memo from Cooley's office says that there is sufficient evidence from one incident that Kalish engaged in oral sex and masturbation with an Explorer Scout in the LAPD Devonshire Division Explorer program when the victim was between 15 and 17. The deputy police chief was also accused of committing sexual acts with a second Explorer Scout from 1977 to 1979. And a third person accused him of molestation from 1976 to 1977.
All allegations, however, involve incidents that took place before 1988, which would be the cut-off date for prosecution.