Transgendered podiatrist alleges discrimination
November 13 2003 12:00 AM ET
A transgendered podiatrist was removed from her position as a director at the hospital where she works because of her sex change, according to a gender discrimination complaint. Gwen Greenberg, 53, who had served for 13 years as director of the podiatric surgical residency program at St. Luke's Hospital-Allentown in Pennsylvania, last week filed the first-of-its-kind complaint with the Allentown Human Relations Commission. Greenberg, formerly known as Gary Greenberg, received therapy and hormone treatments before changing her name and persona to that of a female four months ago. She said she had long suffered from dysphoria, a condition characterized by intense feelings of being the wrong gender.
The complaint alleges that Greenberg notified John Bruno, the vice president of medical affairs, in May that she would be living as a woman beginning July 1. According to the complaint, Bruno told Greenberg two weeks later that the hospital was anxious about the reaction to her gender change and that her contract as director was being terminated. Greenberg has continued to teach podiatry in the program. St. Luke's vice president Susan Schantz declined to comment on the complaint but said, "Dr. Greenberg is a regular part of our podiatry teaching program at the Allentown campus." The city's first gender discrimination complaint names Elaine Thompson, president of St. Luke's-Allentown, and Richard Anderson, president and chief executive of St. Luke's Hospital and Health Network, which oversees the Allentown campus and several other hospitals.
- Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful Christmas Lights
- Colo. School Board Member Denies Existence of Gay, Trans Identities
- WATCH: Pastor Rick Warren's Orwellian 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality
- Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination, Judge Rules
- Hot Sheet: Hark the Herald Angel Swings
- WATCH: What Do These Gay Hockey Players Want for Christmas?
- Music A Brief History of Macklemore's 'Same Love' 9 min 59 sec ago
- Transgender Gay, Trans Identities Don't Exist, Says Colo. School Board Member 2 hours 19 min ago
- World News PHOTOS: Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful New Lights 1:47 AM
- Travel Wedding Bells Ring Down Under December 07 2013 3:33 PM
- Religion WATCH: Rick Warren's 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality December 07 2013 3:32 PM
- Entertainment News Macklemore & Ryan Lewis Score 7 Grammy Nominations December 07 2013 1:32 PM
- Marriage Equality Washington's Weddings Were 17 Percent Gay Last Year December 07 2013 8:00 AM