Greek gay activists to hold kiss-in protest
November 14 2003 1:00 AM ET
Gay rights activists in Greece are calling for gay men and lesbians to gather in Athens and kiss in public on Friday to protest a $117,000 fine imposed on a local television station for showing a male couple kissing, Agence France-Presse reports. "We hope there will be as many of us as possible," Grigoris Valianatos, an activist organizing the event, told AFP Thursday. "After all, our kisses are officially worth 100,000 euros now." The protest is scheduled for late Friday on the doorsteps of the National
Audiovisual Council, Greece's media watchdog.
On Wednesday the council leveled a $117,000 fine on private television station Mega, Greece's second-biggest channel, for showing two young men kissing in the popular late-night series Close Your Eyes. According to media observers, it was the first time that men were broadcast
kissing on a popular Greek show. The broadcast also contained "obscene atmosphere" and "unacceptable dialogue," council president Ioannis Laskaridis was quoted as saying. "[Kissing men] is not a usual phenomenon. It is a particularity outside life's reproductive process," Laskaridis reportedly said.
- Fox's Newest Cop Comedy Is Quietly Breaking Ground
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Trans Woman Sues CrossFit After Being Told to Compete in Men's Division
- Anne Rice Announces New Vampire Chronicles Novel
- Is Mr. Peabody & Sherman About Adoption by Gays?
- Op-ed: In Boston, an Ugly St. Patrick's Day Tradition Continues
- Uganda Op-ed: Uganda's Top Tabloid Isn't News, It's a Hit List 42 min 10 sec ago
- Travel PHOTOS: Miami's Winter Party Combines Skin, Philanthropy 1 hour 13 min ago
- Television Fox's Brooklyn Nine-Nine Quietly Breaks Ground 1 hour 19 min ago
- Couples/Personal Finances The Financial Effects of DOMA: Ushering in a New Year Money Minute 2 hours 20 min ago
- Arts & Entertainment Opera Director Gerard Mortier Dies at 70 2 hours 34 min ago
- Television MTV's Awkward Adds 2 New Gay Characters 2 hours 55 min ago
- Print Issue The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender 6:01 AM