BY Advocate.com Editors
November 20 2003 12:00 AM ET
Line about AIDS and "sin" cut from The Reagans
Showtime has moved up the airdate of The Reagans, the controversial miniseries CBS passed on earlier this month. The Reagans will air at 8 p.m. on November 30 in one block running two hours and 50 minutes. Upon acquiring The Reagans from CBS, Showtime had indicated that it would air as early as March, but the cable network decided to accelerate the premiere in order to capitalize on the vigorous debate still roiling over the program. "People just keep talking about this movie," said Robert Greenblatt, the out president of entertainment at Showtime. "Instead of making judgments in an abstract way, people will now get to see what it really is."
A controversial line in the film in which Reagan addresses the AIDS crisis--"They that live in sin shall die in sin"--has been deleted, according to Greenblatt, but the rest of the scene was not removed from the movie. Greenblatt characterized the final cut as remaining largely faithful to the original version delivered to CBS by its producers, who huddled with Showtime in recent weeks to work on the latest edit of the show. Several minutes and commercial breaks were trimmed to reduce the miniseries, which was originally scheduled to run over two nights beginning November 16, into one movie.
In support of The Reagans, Showtime will also host a roundtable discussion about the movie's accuracy featuring commentators from both sides of the aisle. That program is scheduled to air December 1, but the network has not yet finalized the list of panelists.
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- PHOTOS: 6 Couples Australia's High Court Says Aren't Married Anymore
- WATCH: The Best of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music
- WATCH: Right Wing Swoons Over Antigay Colo. Baker Ready to Go to Jail for Jesus
- WATCH: Trailer for the Wachowskis' Jupiter Ascending Premieres Online
- These Couples Prove Love Is Love
- Marriage Equality Australia's High Court Says These Couples Aren't Married December 11 2013 8:37 PM
- Women Meet Gender Scientist Anne Fausto-Sterling December 11 2013 7:42 PM
- Women WATCH: Michelle Chamuel Returns to The Voice with 'Go Down Singing' December 11 2013 7:10 PM
- Politics Mich. Governor Condemns RNC Member's Latest Antigay Remark December 11 2013 7:01 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Right Wing Swoons Over Antigay Baker December 11 2013 6:45 PM
- Travel What Airline Scored 100% on HRC's Corporate Equality Index? December 11 2013 6:44 PM
- Entertainment News The Queer Quotient at the SAG Awards December 11 2013 6:03 PM