BY Advocate.com Editors
November 20 2003 12:00 AM ET
Pfizer receives FDA approval for thrush treatment
Pfizer announced Tuesday that it has received Food and Drug Administration approval to market its new antifungal medication Vfend to treat esophageal candidiasis, a common AIDS-related complication often called thrush. Candida organisms are found on the skin and mucous membranes of most people, but those with weakened immune systems, including people with HIV, those receiving chemotherapy, and organ transplant recipients are often unable to control the fungus, and it multiplies uncontrollably. This can result in serious infections, including esophageal candidiasis, in which the fungus coats much of the surface of the mouth, causing pain and difficulty swallowing. It may also lead to a more serious, invasive fungal infection.
Vfend was approved after a clinical trial showed it had a higher success rate in treating thrush than the commonly prescribed antifungal medication fluconazole. Vfend has already been approved by the FDA for the treatment of acute invasive aspergillosis and as salvage therapy for several serious fungal infections. The drug can be administered orally or intravenously. For more information about the medication, go online to www.vfend.com.
- Op-ed: Two and a Half Men Introduces Trans Character, Manages to Stay Respectful
- WATCH: The Best of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music
- WATCH: Obama Invokes LGBT Rights in Mandela Eulogy
- PHOTOS: We Asked The Stars, Who Is Your Hero?
- New Gay U.S. Ambassador Meets With Dominican President
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- Media Russia Expert to Offer Political Commentary During Olympics 32 min 36 sec ago
- Travel In-Flight Cellphone Conversations: Dream or Nightmare? 40 min 10 sec ago
- Politics New Gay U.S. Ambassador Meets With Dominican President 1 hour 20 min ago
- Latest News NBC To Spotlight Russia’s Human Rights Abuses During Olympics 2 hours 17 min ago
- Couples/Personal Finances The Financial Effects of DOMA: Filing Taxes 2 hours 32 min ago
- Couples/Personal Finances Examining Employee Benefits in the Wake of DOMA’s Overturn 2 hours 50 min ago
- Women Pussy Riot To Be Freed 5:25 PM