Arizona governor displeased with gay marriage proposals
November 27 2003 12:00 AM ET
Arizona governor Janet Napolitano says legislators have more important things to worry about than gay marriage. "I would rather they get to the business of the state right now that we have before us," Napolitano said Tuesday, citing the special session's issues of child protection and prison crowding. Arizona house speaker Jake Flake (R-Snowflake) has said he is interested in sponsoring a nonbinding resolution to urge Congress to propose a constitutional amendment defining marriage as a union between a man and a woman.
Meanwhile, several Democratic legislators say they may propose legislation to repeal Arizona's law banning same-sex marriages and to urge Congress to reject a constitutional amendment. "It's a total detour from what the legislature ought to be focused on right now," Napolitano said when asked about the Flake proposal calling for a constitutional amendment. She reiterated her position that she does not support changing state law to permit same-sex marriages, but she declined to comment specifically on the Democrats' repeal proposal. "I'm not going to express my opinion on that unless and until a piece of
legislation" reaches her desk, she said, adding, "We've got to get ready for the budget session, and if the special session is any indicator, this is not a legislature that works with alacrity, so I think these priorities need to be refocused."
- WATCH: The Best of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music
- Op-ed: Two and a Half Men Introduces Trans Character, Manages to Stay Respectful
- New Gay U.S. Ambassador Meets With Dominican President
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- 'The Biggest Loser' Trainer Bob Harper Comes Out as Gay
- WATCH: Obama Invokes LGBT Rights in Mandela Eulogy
- Women Emily Rios' Lesbian Character on The Bridge Upped to Series Regular 11 min 28 sec ago
- Media Russia Expert to Offer Political Commentary During Olympics 1 hour 2 min ago
- Travel In-Flight Cellphone Conversations: Dream or Nightmare? 1 hour 10 min ago
- Politics New Gay U.S. Ambassador Meets With Dominican President 1 hour 51 min ago
- Latest News NBC To Spotlight Russia’s Human Rights Abuses During Olympics 2 hours 48 min ago
- Couples/Personal Finances The Financial Effects of DOMA: Filing Taxes 5:56 PM
- Couples/Personal Finances Examining Employee Benefits in the Wake of DOMA’s Overturn 5:38 PM