Texas executes gay man
December 05 2003 12:00 AM ET
Convicted killer Richard Charles "Chuck" Duncan was executed in Texas Wednesday night for the slayings of the parents of his boyfriend at their Houston home more than 16 years ago. Testimony at his trial showed that Duncan, who was arrested at his home in Federal Way, Wash., hoped to share the $500,000 life insurance of John High, 71, and High's 73-year-old wife, Ruth, to save the failing computer business he ran with the couple's son and another man.
Authorities initially believed High and his wife were asphyxiated by gas, but autopsy results confirmed they were murdered. John High had been beaten on the head and was found October 8, 1987, on the
kitchen floor. His wife had been smothered, probably with a pillow, and her body had been arranged in her bed to make it look as if she had died reading a book. Their killer turned on a portable gas stove and locked the door behind him as he left.
Asked if he had a final statement, Duncan said he did but instead replied, "Now that I see my family here and everything, all I want to say is, I love you all so much. I'm innocent, and you know that. You're all so beautiful." Duncan, 61, gasped several times and was pronounced dead at 6:21 p.m., five minutes after receiving the lethal injection.
- Women WATCH: Mary Lambert's Version of 'Teenage Dirtbag' is a Lesbian Love Song! 28 min 8 sec ago
- Marriage Equality Senate Republicans Introduce 'License to Discriminate' Bill 36 min 59 sec ago
- Entertainment News TV Icon Bob Newhart Scheduled For Antigay Org Event With Rick Santorum 57 min 39 sec ago
- Military Hagel: Full National Guard To Recognize Gay Couples 1 hour 30 min ago
- Day in LGBT America PHOTOS: Follow 24 Hours in LGBT America 2 hours 28 min ago
- Entertainment News Tom Daley: Russian Doll? 9:18 AM
- Tyler Curry Op-ed: The Other Obligation That Comes With HIV 7:00 AM