Dog-mauling convict released
January 06 2004 12:00 AM ET
A woman convicted of involuntary manslaughter along with her husband in the dog-mauling death of a lesbian neighbor was released from prison after serving more than half of a four-year sentence. Marjorie Knoller, 48, was released Thursday from Central California Women's Facility in Chowchilla, according to Yolanda Campo, an assistant in the warden's office. Knoller's husband, Robert Noel, 62, was released on parole in September. The two were convicted in March 2002 in the death of Diane Whipple, 33, who was attacked in the hallway of their San Francisco apartment building by the couple's two mammoth presa canarios. Knoller, a former defense attorney whose license to practice was suspended upon her conviction, was picked up by a friend and traveled to Ventura County in Southern California, where she will serve out her parole, KTVU-TV reported. Her husband was paroled in September to Solano County, more than 300 miles north of where his wife will be living. Noel reduced his four-year sentence by working in prison and staying out of trouble, officials said. Heimerich said Knoller refused to work part of the time, delaying her release.
The couple kept the dogs for a state prison inmate and avowed Aryan Brotherhood member whom they had adopted. Knoller and Noel are appealing their convictions. The state attorney general's office, meanwhile, is appealing a judge's dismissal of Knoller's conviction of second-degree murder in the case.
KTVU said Knoller refused to be interviewed on-camera but that she told the station she was unhappy about being released because she did not know what she would do in Southern California. Noel expressed relief over her release, saying he was "happy beyond words."
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- WATCH: Jared Leto on Avoiding Trans Character 'Cliché' for 'Dallas Buyers Club'
- Op-ed: Don't Worry, Tom Daley's Getting Biphobic Tweets, Too
- Op-ed: Stop Judging Tom Daley and Dustin Lance Black
- WATCH: The Best From 6 Olympic Gay Divers
- New Celeb Couple: Dustin Lance Black and Tom Daley
- Sports WATCH: The Best From 6 Olympic Gay Divers 1 hour 22 min ago
- Commentary Op-ed: Stop Judging Tom Daley and Dustin Lance Black 2 hours 26 min ago
- Bisexual Op-ed: Don't Worry, Tom Daley's Getting Biphobic Tweets, Too 5:00 AM
- Women WATCH: Lesbian-Themed Web Series 'Kelsey' - Kelsey Gets All Kinds of Action December 04 2013 8:27 PM
- Travel Out Traveler Awards: Best Cruise Line? December 04 2013 7:42 PM
- Society Making LGBT Spirits Bright This Holiday Season December 04 2013 7:41 PM
- Women PHOTOS: Oxford University's Women's Rugby Club Bares All for Charity December 04 2013 7:25 PM