GLBT newspaper endorses Dean
January 16 2004 12:00 AM ET
Boston-based GLBT newspaper In Newsweekly endorsed front-runner Democratic candidate for president Howard Dean on Thursday, citing the former Vermont governor's leadership on gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgender issues and his potential to beat President Bush in this year's election.
The paper wrote, "Only one candidate has the right mix of policy positions, experience, electability, passion, and grassroots support to take on a sitting president. That candidate is former Vermont governor Howard Dean."
The endorsement's authors added, "Dean is the one candidate who has been most willing to talk about and embrace gay issues while on the stump, addressing mostly nongay audiences. He has repeatedly stated on the campaign trail that signing the civil union bill was one of his greatest achievements as governor."
"Our campaign is about empowering people and making sure everyone has equal rights under the law," said Dean. "The GLBT community has been a vital part of our campaign, and I am honored to have the support of In Newsweekly."
- The Many Faces of LGBT Family
- Op-ed: Two and a Half Men Introduces Trans Character, Manages to Stay Respectful
- WATCH: Teen Uses Bar Mitzvah Speech to Call for Marriage Equality
- Meet the Lesbian Who Won a Comedy Cage Match
- WATCH: The Best of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- Commentary Op-ed: Immigration Goes Beyond Documentation 7:00 AM
- Day in LGBT America The Many Faces of LGBT Family 6:00 AM
- Comedy Meet the Lesbian Who Won a Comedy Cage Match 6:00 AM
- Women Emily Rios' Lesbian Character on The Bridge Upped to Series Regular December 10 2013 8:47 PM
- Media Russia Expert to Offer Political Commentary During Olympics December 10 2013 7:56 PM
- Travel In-Flight Cellphone Conversations: Dream or Nightmare? December 10 2013 7:48 PM
- Politics New Gay U.S. Ambassador Meets With Dominican President December 10 2013 7:08 PM