GLBT newspaper endorses Dean
January 16 2004 1:00 AM ET
Boston-based GLBT newspaper In Newsweekly endorsed front-runner Democratic candidate for president Howard Dean on Thursday, citing the former Vermont governor's leadership on gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgender issues and his potential to beat President Bush in this year's election.
The paper wrote, "Only one candidate has the right mix of policy positions, experience, electability, passion, and grassroots support to take on a sitting president. That candidate is former Vermont governor Howard Dean."
The endorsement's authors added, "Dean is the one candidate who has been most willing to talk about and embrace gay issues while on the stump, addressing mostly nongay audiences. He has repeatedly stated on the campaign trail that signing the civil union bill was one of his greatest achievements as governor."
"Our campaign is about empowering people and making sure everyone has equal rights under the law," said Dean. "The GLBT community has been a vital part of our campaign, and I am honored to have the support of In Newsweekly."
- Op-ed: In Defense of Looking
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Game of Thrones Actor Kristian Nairn Reveals He's Gay
- Fox's Newest Cop Comedy Is Quietly Breaking Ground
- Far-Right Minister: Gays Responsible for Ukraine Crisis
- Gay Tenn. 12-Year-Old Still Fighting the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill He Helped Kill
- Commentary Op-ed: In Defense of Looking 1 hour 38 min ago
- Current Issue Truly Social Networking 2 hours 38 min ago
- Seat Filler 5 Must-See Shows: What's Gay Off-Broadway 5:00 AM
- Media Chicago Monthly Paper Threatens to Out Aldermen March 11 2014 8:40 PM
- Travel VIDEO: George Takei at Austin's SXSW Festival March 11 2014 7:17 PM
- Women WATCH: Bisexuality v. Pansexuality - We Discuss the Difference March 11 2014 7:02 PM
- Television WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families March 11 2014 6:45 PM