Belgian cardinal says most gays are perverts
January 22 2004 1:00 AM ET
A Belgian cardinal and close friend of the pope believes that only 5% to 10% of homosexuals are actually gay and the rest are "sexual perverts," according to a report by Agence France-Presse. "I am willing to write in my own blood that of those who call themselves gay or lesbian, at most 5% or 10% are actually gay or lesbian," Cardinal Gustaaf Joos told the Belgian weekly P-Magazine. "All the rest are sexual perverts," said the 80-year-old, who was made a cardinal by his lifelong friend Pope John Paul II in October. "Don't hesitate to write that down," he added. "They can come protesting at my door, I don't care. I won't open the door. True homosexuals don't run in the streets dressed in an extrovert way. True gays have a serious problem. We must help these people. They're either perverts,
or they're sick."
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- Gay Artists & Artwork From Around the Globe | Artist Spotlight
- WATCH: In Pat Robertson's Latest Diatribe, Gays Are 'Terrorists'
- That's Amoré! 11 Irresistible Images of What Happened When Rome Recognized Same-Sex Marriages
- #TBT: Halloween Exhibitionism
- Op-ed: Divided We Fall