Colorado Springs may offer DP benefits
February 10 2004 1:00 AM ET
The Colorado Springs, Colo., city council will consider allowing municipal employees to expand health
care coverage to include an adult who lives in their home. The proposal would cover an adult child, parent, grandparent, or live-in partner, including a gay or lesbian partner. The council may vote on the proposal on Tuesday.
No Colorado city has ever approved such a package, said Emma Arguelles, research associate for the Colorado Municipal League. "It's pretty rare, and it's very innovative," Arguelles said. "It would be a landmark for that to happen."
A city employee would pay 100% of the premium. Only employees with at least two years' service would be eligible, and the added adult must have been a resident in the home for the past two years. The city expects that 100 employees would participate. Last fall the city council approved benefits for same-sex partners, and seven people signed up, costing the city $6,700. The program was short-lived, however. Just days after a new council took office last April, the council voted 8-1 to end benefits, which expired December 31.
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Game of Thrones Actor Kristian Nairn Reveals He's Gay
- Gay Tenn. 12-Year-Old Still Fighting the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill He Helped Kill
- Fox's Newest Cop Comedy Is Quietly Breaking Ground
- Op-ed: Uganda's Top Tabloid Isn't News, It's a Hit List
- Travel Copenhagen: The Gayest Place in 2014 1 min 41 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Australia's Sexy New Lesbian Web Series Starting From ... Now! 55 min ago
- Television 15 Most Ridiculous Real Housewives Taglines Ever 1 hour 36 min ago
- Arts & Entertainment 10 Things We Learned from Neil Patrick Harris 1 hour 41 min ago
- Women WATCH: Houston's Lesbian Mayor Reveals 'The Gay Agenda' 2 hours 59 min ago
- Marriage Equality Oregon Republicans Support Marriage Equality 2:18 PM
- Uganda Ugandans Challenge 'Jail the Gays' Law in Court UPDATED: 2:12 PM