New York lawmaker says gay school is "gross discrimination"
February 11 2004 12:00 AM ET
State senator Ruben Diaz Sr., in a state budget hearing Monday, accused New York City of racial discrimination, reviving the controversy over the city's gay high school. The Democrat from the south Bronx criticized the $3.2 million Harvey Milk High School, which opened in September as a haven to gays, saying minority students face violence in crumbling schools across town. "What they are doing is gross discrimination, gross disrespect toward our children, toward our community, and a misuse of funds," Diaz said at the first state legislative hearing on education since the school opened. "It's a good school, with the top technology in the world, good teachers, air conditioning, nice school," Diaz said. "In my district, there's no ventilation in the gym.... Are they going to leave No Child Left Behind or just certain groups?"
"What Senator Diaz fails to recognize is, that school was not segregated.... It was not open only to youngsters who were gay or lesbian," said assembly education chairman Steven Sanders after the hearing. "We have a lot of schools that address some specialized needs. To pretend that students who are gay and lesbian have not experienced particular hardships and particular cruelty in some areas of the city is really to not understand the real experience.... There was nothing wrong with what the chancellor did there."
- Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License
- Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful Christmas Lights
- German President Will Boycott Sochi Olympics
- Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination, Judge Rules
- Gay Women - News & Culture for Lesbian, Bisexual, and Trans Women
- WATCH: Ellen and Portia Recreate Bound 2
- World News German President Will Boycott Sochi Olympics December 08 2013 3:16 PM
- Marriage Equality Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License December 08 2013 2:31 PM
- Comedy WATCH: Ellen and Portia Recreate Bound 2 December 08 2013 2:15 PM
- Music A Brief History of Macklemore's 'Same Love' December 08 2013 9:10 AM
- Transgender Gay, Trans Identities Don't Exist, Says Colo. School Board Member December 08 2013 7:00 AM
- World News PHOTOS: Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful New Lights December 08 2013 1:47 AM
- Travel Wedding Bells Ring Down Under December 07 2013 3:33 PM