Virginia legislature tries to affirm its anti-gay marriage stance
February 13 2004 12:00 AM ET
The Virginia house of delegates tentatively approved legislation Thursday that affirms the state's ban on gay marriages, despite opponents' claims that the measure unnecessarily repeats what is already law. Del. Robert Marshall's bill comes as the Massachusetts legislature tries to compromise on language for a constitutional amendment prohibiting gay marriages but allowing civil unions.
Marshall said his bill is necessary to protect Virginia's law from the courts, citing the recent Massachusetts supreme judicial court's decision that struck down that state's ban on gay marriages. He said Virginia's law also may not stop gay couples from trying to get civil unions recognized in the state.
"I think we need to make an affirmation that we accept one type of marriage in Virginia and only one type of marriage," Marshall said.
The legislature's only openly gay member, Del. Adam Ebbin (D-Alexandria), called the bill needless, saying that nobody has ever challenged Virginia's marriage law. "[Marshall's] afraid that people from Vermont or San Francisco or other strange and dangerous places are moving to Virginia to try to get their rights recognized here," Ebbin said, adding, "It's almost Valentine's Day, and I don't even have a date, let alone getting married." The bill faces a final vote Friday after advancing on a voice vote.
- Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful Christmas Lights
- Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination, Judge Rules
- WATCH: Elton John Slams 'Inhumane, Isolating' Anti-LGBT Laws In Russia
- WATCH: Pastor Rick Warren's Orwellian 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality
- WATCH: Jared Leto on Avoiding Trans Character 'Cliché' for 'Dallas Buyers Club'
- Op-ed: Why I Filmed My Coming Out Journey
- World News PHOTOS: Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful New Lights 1:47 AM
- Travel Wedding Bells Ring Down Under December 07 2013 3:33 PM
- Religion WATCH: Rick Warren's 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality December 07 2013 3:32 PM
- Entertainment News Macklemore & Ryan Lewis Score 7 Grammy Nominations December 07 2013 1:32 PM
- Marriage Equality Washington's Weddings Were 17 Percent Gay Last Year December 07 2013 8:00 AM
- Marriage Equality Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination December 07 2013 7:00 AM
- Art In the Galleries: Transformer December 07 2013 4:00 AM