Democratic presidential candidates weigh in on Bush's amendment
February 25 2004 12:00 AM ET
Democrats on Tuesday accused President George W. Bush of tinkering with the Constitution in support of a Federal Marriage Amendment to divert election-year attention from his record. The White House denied the allegation.
"All Americans should be concerned when a president who is in political trouble tries to tamper with the Constitution of the United States at the start of his reelection campaign," said Democratic presidential front-runner John Kerry, who is not in favor of gay marriage but will oppose the amendment if it reaches the Senate floor. Bush is "looking for a wedge issue to divide the American people," he added.
Campaigning in Georgia, where the state legislature is debating its own ban on gay marriage, Democratic presidential candidate and North Carolina senator John Edwards said he is against the president's idea of a constitutional amendment. "I don't personally support gay marriage myself," he said. "My position has always been that it's for the states to decide."
Democratic congressman and presidential candidate Dennis J. Kucinich said, "I oppose the amendment. Equal protection of the law, including the right to marry, must be made available to all Americans regardless of race, color, creed, or sexual orientation. The amendment as supported by the president is a continuation of his divisive policies, which are not worthy of a free nation or a freedom-loving people."
- The Advocate's Person of the Year: Pope Francis
- Obama, Biden Won't Be at Olympics
- 9 Catholics Who Need to Listen to the Pope
- Attackers Dismantle Roof of Moscow Gay Club
- Pope Removes Hard-Line Marriage Equality Opponent From Vatican Panel
- Joseph Gordon-Levitt Joins Film Adaptation of LGBT-Inclusive Comic Book
- Women WATCH: Gaga & Xtina's Amazing '70s-era Lesbian Duet of "Do What U Want!" 1 hour 20 min ago
- Marriage Equality NOH8 Founders Adam Bouska & Jeff Parshley on Campaign's 5th Anniversary December 17 2013 9:23 PM
- Travel What's Hot in England for 2014 December 17 2013 8:32 PM
- Women WATCH: Adorable Lesbian Takes on How to Practice the Smells and Sounds of Sex! December 17 2013 8:10 PM
- Politics Obama, Biden Won't Be at Olympics December 17 2013 6:34 PM
- Film Joseph Gordon-Levitt Joins Film Adaptation of LGBT-Inclusive Comic Book December 17 2013 5:43 PM
- The Wedding Channel WATCH: Gay Military Couple Share 'A Story About Love' December 17 2013 4:38 PM