L.A., NYC, S.F. rallies planned to protest Bush amendment speech, February 24
February 25 2004 12:00 AM ET
Gay rights leaders in Los Angeles and New York have reacted quickly to President Bush's press conference today pushing for an amendment to the U.S. Constitution banning same-sex marriage by scheduling rallies in both cities.
"Today is a day that will live in infamy in the history of our republic," said Lorri Jean, chief executive officer of the Los Angeles Gay and Lesbian Center. "For the first time, a president of the United States has used his office to urge that the most sacred document in our democracy be amended to permanently require discrimination against an entire class of people. This unprecedented, extremist act flies in the face of the very principles upon which this nation was founded. The U.S. Constitution is no place for the politics of bigotry and discrimination."
WHEN: Tuesday, February 24, 6 p.m.
WHERE: LGBT Community Center, 1st Floor
208 W. 13th St.
SPONSORED BY: National Gay and Lesbian Task Force; Empire State Pride Agenda; Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Community Center; Mano a Mano; NYC Gay and Lesbian Anti-Violence Project
WHEN: Tuesday, February 24, 7 p.m. (gather at 6:30 p.m. for press conference)
WHERE: Corner of Santa Monica and San Vicente boulevards, West Hollywood
(In case of rain, rally held inside West Hollywood Auditorium inside west Hollywood Park, just south of Santa Monica Blvd., on San Vicente)
For more information about the rally, call (323) 860-5858.
SPONSORED BY: National Gay and Lesbian Task Force; Los Angeles Gay and Lesbian Center; City of West Hollywood; National Black AIDS Institute; Metropolitan Community Church; Bienestar; Lambda Legal Defense and Education Fund
WHEN: Tuesday, February 24, 5:30 p.m.
WHERE: Castro at Market
SPONSORED BY: Marriage Equality California; Freedom to Marry Coalition
- Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful Christmas Lights
- Colo. School Board Member Denies Existence of Gay, Trans Identities
- Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination, Judge Rules
- WATCH: Pastor Rick Warren's Orwellian 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality
- WATCH: Rep. Polis's Epic Blowup on House Floor Over Immigration
- Op-ed: Stop Judging Tom Daley and Dustin Lance Black
- Music A Brief History of Macklemore's 'Same Love' 7 min 36 sec ago
- Transgender Gay, Trans Identities Don't Exist, Says Colo. School Board Member 2 hours 17 min ago
- World News PHOTOS: Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful New Lights 1:47 AM
- Travel Wedding Bells Ring Down Under December 07 2013 3:33 PM
- Religion WATCH: Rick Warren's 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality December 07 2013 3:32 PM
- Entertainment News Macklemore & Ryan Lewis Score 7 Grammy Nominations December 07 2013 1:32 PM
- Marriage Equality Washington's Weddings Were 17 Percent Gay Last Year December 07 2013 8:00 AM