Rosie and Kelli O'Donnell plan S.F. wedding
February 26 2004 1:00 AM ET
Rosie and Kelli O'Donnell will be legally married in San Francisco on Thursday afternoon, a friend of the O'Donnells tells Advocate.com. Rosie O'Donnell reportedly has said that this action is in direct response to President Bush's endorsement on Tuesday of the proposed amendment to the U.S. Constitution banning gay marriage, an amendment that would not only prohibit same-sex marriages nationwide but could threaten civil unions, domestic partnerships, and other existing family rights for gay- and lesbian-led families.
As she did with the issue of gay parenting rights in Florida, the source told Advocate.com, O'Donnell wants to use her celebrity to focus attention on the injustices visited upon gay and lesbian families and to bolster the cause for equal rights. The couple are reportedly planning to fly to San Francisco Thursday morning from their New York home and to return that same day.
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers
- Lesbian Feminist Cathy Brennan Sues AfterEllen for Defamation
- TBT: Mid-Century Dreamboats
- WATCH: Kentucky Clerk Defies Court Again, Turns Away Same-Sex Couple a Third Time
- U.S. Marine Claims 'Trans Panic' in Murder of Trans Filipina Jennifer Laude
- Illinois Bishop Reminds Gay Parents: Catholic Schools Will Teach You're Sinning